Votes

Smart Plugs Bulbs Switchs Should have option STATIC IP not just DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-12 18:23:51 - last edited 2023-01-12 20:32:33
Tags: #static ip

looking for a feature request of STATIC IPs

my my plugs are connected to my Access Point  but my Router that gives out dhcp internet etc goes down.. the Plugs are useless with home assistant or Kasa App 

it be nice to have option to Set the IP Address to each one so if your router goes down  switchs plugs will still work with a Home Assistant or Kasa App connected to your Access Point...

other things in ESP32 or Shelly Devices  have this option and work..  be nice if TP Link offered it too

Options
2 Reply
Re:Smart Plugs Bulbs Switchs Should have option STATIC IP not just DHCP
2023-02-02 06:44:42

@comet424  thank you for your feedback and sharing the detailed scenarios

Configuring static IP can help in some cases, usually we recommendg an IP reservation / assign IP to the plug from router as the workaround, will the plug get static again when internet restores on your router? 

Options
Re:Smart Plugs Bulbs Switchs Should have option STATIC IP not just DHCP
2023-02-02 17:42:11 - last edited 2023-02-02 17:45:00

@Solla-topee 

this doesnt work  when the router itself goes down..  giving static ips from mac address's  works when the router is working

but when the router itself goes down.. the devices go down.. and if you reboot the wifi router/ap  then you totally loose everything

so i currently do dhcp reservation aka  static ips for mac address''s of the tplink switchs

but they become usless once the main router goes down...  so you should be able to manually add IP Address's  so  if the main router goes down... the ip address's stay in the switchs and plugs   and will continue to work..  

just like Shelly Devices ,, or ESPHome Device... you can set the ip address  and this way if there is a failure of your main router.. your entire tplink system goes down all at once...  so be nice  they dont just rely on a working main router

and once the router is working again  it usually fixes the light switchs etc...  but i was meaning  if the router itself crashes  and no longer offers giving ips internet or anything basiclly say the router is turned off...  the wifi devices should still talk to each other  through the AP/wifi router... 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 295

Replies: 2

Voters 1

Tags

static ip