LED glow when 3 way HS210 selected off AND HS210 3 way switch does not detect if light is on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

LED glow when 3 way HS210 selected off AND HS210 3 way switch does not detect if light is on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-23 12:52:45 - last edited 2023-07-25 16:59:37
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

There are other threads for both of these issues, but they are old an locked, so I cannot reply...

So, The long story: I bought 4 (2 packs) of HS210's, two I'm using as regular one-way switches (and they work fine) and two in two different 3-way circuits with regular 3-way switches at the other end - both ends are in the same boxes with each other at either ends of the kitchen (i.e. 2 Kasa switches in one box and the two passive switches at the other end of the room).  Well one switch setup worked fine and dandy, but the other 3-way circuit did not.  The manual switch-overs turned the bulb on and off fine (both ends) but the LED bulb still glowed slightly when OFF and the 'smart' part seemed to be very confused.  Each time I turned the bulb on/off with Alexa, it would act like a toggle (had to On and Off to turn on, then On and Off to turn off again.  Lastly, the little white circle light on the switch would go on for about a second, then off again, every time I pressed the switch.

I re-checked the wiring multiple times, at both ends.  I even switched the Kasa's over between the two pairs of travellers and the problem followed the circuit, so I knew that Kasa switches were OK.  Got my multimeter out and found that both travellers had 90-110 volts on them no matter which way the circuit was set.  Huh?  UPDATE: I mean here that the 'off' traveller had 90-110V, the 'on' traveller had ~119V.

Finally, I had the brilliant idea of changing the LED bulb - one of those "Edison" filament LEDs - with a regular incandescent one.  Result? SUCCESS!! I just about smashed my head on the concrete in frustration.  So it seems that some efficient bulbs don't pass enough current for the Kasa to determine if it's on or off, hence the 'smart' confusion.

Summary:  If you have a similar weird issue and have checked your wiring, try changing the bulb(s)!

Options
4 Reply
Re:LED glow when 3 way HS210 selected off AND HS210 3 way switch does not detect if light is on
2023-07-25 08:01:41

@meq123 

Thank you for sharing! This is the first time we hear such feedback.

Could you share the model or a link of the Edison bulb?

Did you test the voltage after changing the regular incandescent bulb?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:LED glow when 3 way HS210 selected off AND HS210 3 way switch does not detect if light is on
2023-07-25 16:55:02 - last edited 2023-07-25 16:55:53

@Wayne-TP 

Not sure where I got the bulb from, but I took pictures of the bulb/inscription.  Plus, I put the bulb back in and attach pics of it "off" and glowing, and "on" bright.  Note that I also swapped in a different Phillips (dimmable) LED bulb, and that worked just fine too.  I think I measured the voltage when the working bulb was in and it read close to zero when off, but I cannot be sure, sorry (I did so much fussing trying to get it to work, it's all a bit of a blur now).

Options
2023-07-26 17:26:34

@Wayne-TP 

Following up, I went out and bought a 3-pack of different Edison bulbs from Phillips.  These also work fine, so the issue is definately some incompatibility between the design of some LED bulbs and the Kasa HS210.  The new bulbs are 6W (60W equiv), whereas the 'problem' one was 3.5W (probably 40W equiv), so that may have something to do with it.

Light 'off', no dim glow: 

(Working) bulb details:

Options
2023-07-31 07:42:15

@meq123 

Thank you for providing additional information! This will be valuable for other users who encounter the same issue, and we will also keep an eye out for similar feedback.

BTW, how old is this problem light bulb? Could it be a quality issue caused by product aging?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 4

Related Articles