Incorrect password / unable to pair device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-19 22:24:53
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Have tried for hours to get the camera connected to my network with no success.  Quite frustrated at this point.

Wifi is 2.4 Ghz and my phone, tablet, laptop, and smart tv are all able to connect to the wifi network with no issues.  Password is 100% correct.

- attempting to setup using android app alternates between incorrect password and failed to pair

- light is blinking red after camera fails to connect or pair
- no range extenders
- router is starlink
- have tried resetting and trying again multiple times
- tried to enable a mobile hotspot on my phone but the app forces me to turn wifi back on
- have followed all suggestions at https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/2747/
- router has no special settings enabled, such as MAC Filtering, Access Control, Firewall, etc.

Any additional suggestions appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Incorrect password / unable to pair device
2023-08-21 07:09:45

@leftturnclyde 

Can you turn on the hotspot on your phone and use the tablet to do the configuration again?  You may also try to enable a 2.4GHz guest WiFi for testing. 

Note: Please restore the device to factory settings before each reconfiguration.

How to reset Tapo C500: Use a pin to press and hold down the Reset button for 5s, led will start blinking red quickly, then turn to blinking red and green (ready for setup).

What's the model of your starlink router? Can you provide a screenshot of the error?

Please make sure your Tapo APP is the latest version.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-08-22 01:19:48

@Wayne-TP 

Thank you for your response. 

I didn't think to try the hotspot on my laptop or tablet but that worked and got me through to the screen where I can name my device.  I cancelled that setup, rest the camera and tried again with the starlihk router 2.4GZ network and it failed again.  So I presume the issue is with the router configuration?

• Starlink router is model number UTR-211
  • Tapo app is version 2.17.206
  • Unsure how to enable a 2.4GHz guest WiFi for testing.  The router only seems to allow me to create two ssid when I split... one for 5 and one for 2.4. Sceenshot attached.
  • Error msg when attempting to connect directly to starlink router 2.4GHz wifi is attached

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
2023-08-24 11:02:34

@leftturnclyde 

Please verify whether your phone is connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi "Ltc" during the pairing process: When the App displays Pairing to your smart device, keep Tapo running in the background and go to WiFi settings to check the connected wifi.

If your phone connects to 5GHz WiFi, it may cause pairing failure.

There is a simple way to verify if the router setting is causing the issue, factory reset and reconfigure the router. If this is acceptable to you, you can have a try. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-08-28 08:19:55

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, wifi is LTC 2.4 as previously stated.

It is not clear why you would suggest factory reset of router and reconfiguration of router when all other of my devices connect to the starlink router just fine except this camera. In fact, friends and family visit my domicile with their various devices and are all able to connect to the starlink router just fine with no issues.  Hmm.  What could be the problem?   The router that works fine for every other device besides this camera?  

This appears to be a bug with the camera in that it is incapable of connecting to a router that all other of my devices, and all of my friends and family devices, have no issues connecting to without fail.

Anything else you would helpfully suggest?

Options
2023-08-30 11:26:59

@leftturnclyde 

Restoring the factory settings of the router is the quickest way to determine whether it is some special settings on the router that you do not know or are not aware of that cause the device to fail to connect. This method is not a mandatory and recommended method, but an optional suggestion. Some users with simple network topology may choose this method to solve the problem quickly.

For your case, we would like to escalate it to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox later and respond.    

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 511

Replies: 5

Related Articles