Google Assistant Telling me Tap bulbs are already on/off
Google Assistant Telling me Tap bulbs are already on/off
2023-09-28 07:30:42
Tags: #Google Assistant #Already on/off
Model: Tapo L630   Tapo L930-5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 bulid 230823 rel. 165100

Hello,

I have recently purchased some Tapo GU10 mart bulbs and Smart light strips for my house to go with my current Kasa products (plan was to buy Tapo now as Kasa is being phased out in the UK).

Everything works fine except if I ask Google assistant to turn on/off the lights it tells me if the Tapo lights are already on/off:

'Hey Google turn off the hall lights'

I will get the following response:

'Cabinet light 1 is already off, cabinet light 2 is already off, cabinet 3 is already off, hall lamp is already off...'

This happens only for the Tapo lights and none of my other smart devices from other manufacturers, happens if I ask to turn them on or off.

There are no settings in the Tapo or Google assistant apps to stop this ( i have tried routines, automation, just saying the room and just saying the lights) and its very annoying when I have a routine that runs late at night to switch off lights and then hear a long response from a speaker going on and on what lights are already off.

I have asked the Google home community and the Google home reddit sub and nobody knows why the Tapo devces are responding with this.

How can I turn this off, I don't think its very useful to inform me when lights are either already on or off or is my only soulution to return the Tapo products?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Google Assistant Telling me Tap bulbs are already on/off
2023-09-28 11:03:20 - last edited 2023-09-28 11:04:15

@Dakkard 

Same problem here but that's happening to my Philips bulbs! My tapo bulbs are normal. WTH, Google....

Anyway, i noticed an new announcement by Google, you can replace the verbal response with a soft chime by putting the device in the same room. Not sure if that works, i don't have the chance to test it yet. But here you go!

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Expanding-chimes-for-in-room-smart-home-devices/ba-p/402786

Options
2023-09-28 11:16:20

@GabrielMitch 

Hello the chime should happen automatically without you doing any changes for turning off/on lights via google in the same room, it will talk only if the devices are in another room.

a very dirty fix which I don't want to do is move all devices into a single room to get a chime but I could see being a bit messy with other voice commands.

Interesting that you have this issue with the Philips devices, maybe the manufacturers are using a setting to get google to respond when things are already on'off as my kasa devices do not trigger the response.

Options
2023-10-07 02:46:48

@Dakkard 

These things are really driving me crazy and i rather choose a simply way to make it easier. Can't tell who is the trouble but definitely not doing this to myself.

Options
2023-11-18 19:53:19

@Dakkard 

I'm having the same problem.  Indeed it is only with my tapo lights.  Very frustrating - hopefully TP-Link will come up with a fix.

Options

Information

Helpful: 16

Views: 564

Replies: 4

Tags

Google Assistant
Already on/off
Related Articles