WAN Drops Every Hour Exactly

WAN Drops Every Hour Exactly

22 Reply
Re:WAN Drops Every Hour Exactly
2023-11-22 02:28:43

Hi @esiedlecki 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

esiedlecki wrote

@Clive_A 

My understanding (which could absolutely be wrong) is that the IP address indicated (216.115.0.108) is the DHCP server, and that 66.178.174.1 is the gateway. I will confirm with my ISP.

No. The ACK and DHCP offer are both coming from the ISP gateway. When the ER7206 declines that "UNKNOWN" DHCP server, it rediscovers and finds your ISP gateway which is the correct subnet and gateway IP.

This makes a full DHCP interaction. And this only happens when you are interacting with the 66.178.X.X gateway.

See the picture. When you regained your Internet, you were getting 66.178.X.X IP, is that correct? This should be the right IP address as far as I can tell.

Search your IP address in this Wireshark and see if this 66.178.X.X belongs to your ISP.

I am suspicious that you have an illegal DHCP server. Can you confirm the MAC address is not your Modem??

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-22 20:09:18 - last edited 2023-11-22 21:22:43

@Clive_A 

Quick update - I went ahead and ran a packet capture with my Intel NUC connected directly to the ONT, ellimating all of my TP-Link equipment.

You can see here that it's a 2-hour lease just like when the ER7206 is plugged in. Also note that the DHCP server is indeed the address you were concerned about.

Here you can see that my NUC requests to extended the lease at the half-life of of the lease (just like the ER7206 does), and the DHCP server sends the ACK.

Here you can see that the lease gets extended by an hour, and the NUC keeps the original IP address.

From this, it looks to me like there is some problem with the interaction between the ER7206 and my ISP's DHCP server. I hope that's helpful info.

Also, I can confirm that that 66.178.x.x does belong to my ISP and is an expected IP address.

Options
2023-12-03 04:12:04 - last edited 2023-12-03 04:12:31

I've gone ahead and switched from the ER7206 to a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and the problem has stopped. This is clearly a problem with the ER7206. If the issue can be addressed and resolved, I'd love to return the UDM-Pro and stick with Omada.

Options
2023-12-07 01:23:21

Hi @esiedlecki 

esiedlecki wrote

I've gone ahead and switched from the ER7206 to a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and the problem has stopped. This is clearly a problem with the ER7206. If the issue can be addressed and resolved, I'd love to return the UDM-Pro and stick with Omada.

I am still working with the senior engineer and requesting a response to this issue. Please bear with me for sometime before I get an answer from them.

We are setting up a network in our lab and trying to replicate this issue.

Will update you as soon as I get a response.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-12-07 01:31:06

Hi @esiedlecki

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID231213623, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
2024-05-15 15:11:00 - last edited 2024-05-15 15:12:12

@Clive_A 

Just curious as to if there were any resolutions to this problem...?  I have the same problem as discussed in this thread and mentioned here ER7206 WAN Drops at Renew - Business Community (tp-link.com) and have opened ticket Number TKID240518991.  I just started to troubleshoot the problem with support but wanted to save some time if possible.  Similar to this person, if I switch back to my ER605, the problem dissappears.  Fortunately my problem only occurs every 24 hours...

Options
2024-05-15 15:13:11

@Aveamantium 

Likely not what you want to hear, but I ended up moving away from Omada entirely and I now use Ubiquiti Unifi. It wasn't my ideal solution, but I don't get WAN drops every hour anymore. Unforuntalely TP-Link support was unable to provide a solution.

Options
2024-05-15 15:27:39 - last edited 2024-05-15 15:58:54

@esiedlecki I sincerely appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!  The issue seems to be limited to certain versions of tp-links routers as I don't seem to have this issue when using my older ER605.

Thanks Again!

Options
2024-05-16 02:37:25

Hi @Aveamantium 

Aveamantium wrote

@Clive_A 

Just curious as to if there were any resolutions to this problem...?  I have the same problem as discussed in this thread and mentioned here ER7206 WAN Drops at Renew - Business Community (tp-link.com) and have opened ticket Number TKID240518991.  I just started to troubleshoot the problem with support but wanted to save some time if possible.  Similar to this person, if I switch back to my ER605, the problem dissappears.  Fortunately my problem only occurs every 24 hours...

Case was not followed up after the ticket was created. And it was closed due to no replies.

Options
2024-05-17 09:10:37

@esiedlecki 

I suspect that the gateway at 67.178.174.1 is acting as a DHCP Relay agent and the real DHCP server is 216.115.0.108. Its quite common in an ISP scenario, because the actual DHCP server is not in the same subnet as the gateway and therefore isnt contactable directly by the broadcast DHCPDISCOVER.

Once the IP address has been allocated in the reply to the DHCPREQUEST, the actual DHCP server address is supplied. Subsequent IP renewal requests can be sent directly (unicast)  to the actual DHCP server. This situation seems to be confusing the ER7206 in that it appears to believe that the original IP address was allocated by the relay agent ( 67.178.174.1) and that when it gets the same IP from the real DHCP server it rejects it and reverts to rediscovering.

A detailed view on the wireshark data from the DHCPOFFER and subsequent DHCPREQUEST and ACK would be useful to confirm...

Options
Related Articles