Use a smart button as a panic button for the elderly

2023-11-25 07:47:51 - last edited 2024-01-02 02:05:10
Model: Tapo S200B  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I would like to place tapo smart buttons in all the rooms of my 80+ year old mother's house, so that if she falls she can press the button and i get notification on my phone.  We have membership of a proper system for the elderly connected to a call centre and she has a panic button around her neck, but she tends to leave it off for one reason or another.  On at least two occasions she has had an incident and not been able to use her panic button connected to the call centre, and had to crawl to the living room to get to a phone.  I wanted to add another layer on top of what she already has, so I get notification when she has pressed a button.  I will place them in the bathrooms, the kitchen, the base of the stairs, where she has fallen many times.  I can't put cameras in all her rooms for sake of privacy.  I have one in her kitchen but it sends me notifications all the time while she is moving around the kitchen so that doesn't help, so most of the time i have the notifications turned off and check in on her once in a while.  I am afraid one day she may fall or have an incident and she doesn't have her elderly panic button around her neck and she may not be able to get to a phone.  So getting to a button adds another way of her getting in touch with one of her family members.  She has an Alexa Show in her house, so if Alexa can send me notifications when a Tapo button is pressed that would also be a solution but the buttons don't show up in Alexa.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Use a smart button as a panic button for the elderly-Solution
2023-11-29 11:28:14 - last edited 2024-01-02 02:05:10

@KateT 

The Tapo S200B actually supports Alexa, it can be used as a Trigger in Alexa routines or automation. 

If you haven't linked Tapo with Alexa, find the guidance below. Ensure your device has the latest firmware version, and keep both Tapo and Alexa App updated.

How to update the firmware of the Tapo&Kasa devices on the Tapo App
How to make my Tapo device (smart plug, smart camera, smart lighting) work with Amazon Alexa

Notification for the automation in Tapo will also be supported in the upcoming Smart Action 2.0 updates. An App notification will be sent to your phone when automation is triggered, user can also customize the content of the notification.

Tap here to check if it meets your needs! Smart Action 2.0: Unlock Next-Level Smart Home Automation

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Use a smart button as a panic button for the elderly-Solution
2023-11-29 11:28:14 - last edited 2024-01-02 02:05:10

@KateT 

The Tapo S200B actually supports Alexa, it can be used as a Trigger in Alexa routines or automation. 

If you haven't linked Tapo with Alexa, find the guidance below. Ensure your device has the latest firmware version, and keep both Tapo and Alexa App updated.

How to update the firmware of the Tapo&Kasa devices on the Tapo App
How to make my Tapo device (smart plug, smart camera, smart lighting) work with Amazon Alexa

Notification for the automation in Tapo will also be supported in the upcoming Smart Action 2.0 updates. An App notification will be sent to your phone when automation is triggered, user can also customize the content of the notification.

Tap here to check if it meets your needs! Smart Action 2.0: Unlock Next-Level Smart Home Automation

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Use a smart button as a panic button for the elderly
2024-01-10 09:13:19

@Wayne-TP - Hello Wayne, 

I have similar use case - when is Smart Action 2.0 planned for release? 

I don't find any materials....

Thank you in advance! 

Options