Tapo S500D with dimmable 12v transformer stops working after a few hours

2024-01-06 22:34:23
Tags: #Installation #Transformer
Model: Tapo S500D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

I just replaced a dumb dimmer switch with the Tapo S500D. It's controlling a dimmable 12v transformer.

it worked great with the dumb dimmer switch and worked with the smart dimmer switch but a few hours after installing the Tapo S500D, it stopped turning on the transformer. I tried checking all connections and each time the smart switch would work again for a few hours and then stop working. I noticed that the transformer wouldn't turn on if the Tapo S500D was set to low brightness but would work fine if the brightness is medium or high. The weird thing is, after a few hours the Tapo S500D stops turning the transformer on.

I've tried checking the connections multiple times, it works fine then stops working a few hours later.

I've disabled the gradual on/off setting

I've tried turning off the breaker and it doesn't seem to reset the switch. I need to disconnect it to get it to work again.

Do I have a bad switch?  Any ideas?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo S500D with dimmable 12v transformer stops working after a few hours
2024-01-22 08:10:25

@Tomtomtom123 

What's the dimmer type of your dump switch? How about the dimmer type of the light?

Did you notice the status of the ring LED indicator on the Tapo S500D when this situation occurs? For example, did the ring led turn on when the light turn off? Or vice versa.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 214

Replies: 1

Tags

Installation
Transformer
Related Articles