DHCP server ignores DHCP reservations

2024-02-08 08:22:43 - last edited 2024-02-08 08:23:49
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20240102 Rel.50640

Hello!

In the Omada controller web interface, when I select a device for which I have set a specific IP address, then select 'Config', do not change anything in the settings under 'Use Fixed IP Address' (where the correct IP address is configured) and press 'Apply', the router will assign the correct IP address to the device after a while.
However, if the router reassigns the IP address (i. e. after device reboot), it ignores the DHCP reservation and assigns the device any IP address from the configured DHCP range.
By the way, this also happens with the access points (EAP650-Outdoor, EAP650-Wall, EAP655-Wall) - they always receive IP addresses from the DHCP range instead of the fixed IP address set under 'IP Settings'.
This issue should have been resolved since controller version 5.0.29 (see https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3200/).

How can I make the ER7212PC assign the reserved IP addresses to the devices as configured?

Thank you very much for any useful hint!

Kind regards,
Gerald

Options
17 Reply
Re:DHCP server ignores DHCP reservations
2024-02-08 10:04:30

@gerba 

Hi,

My understanding of that is, when you configure your LAN, you should provide a DHCP range that is smaller than your network. Then make an IP reservation for IP addresses from outside of your DHCP range.

Otherwise the DHCP will overlap with your static assigment.

So for me:

I have LAN: 192.168.10.0/24 (192.168.10.1-254)

My DHCP range is: 192.168.10.100-199)

Then I have 192.168.10.2-99 IP addresses which are part of my LAN but are not available for DHCP.

Then in DHCP reservation I am able to set those devices for statis IP address based on MAC using those 2-99 IPs:

I hope it helps. If that's not what your are looking for, then I'm sorry :(

Options
2024-02-08 10:35:44

Hi!
Yes, that is exactly, what I also did.
But still the ER7212PC does not assign the reserved addresses, but addresses from the DHCP range.
This is the problem ...

Options
2024-02-08 10:42:09

@gerba 

Make sure you are putting correct MAC address. On my side, to secure IP assignment even more, in devices configuration I've also set up their IPs as a static ones and provided the one from DHCP Reservation list.

I can try to test it later, if I'll switch devices config back to DHCP and leave only DHCP Reservation active on controller - if your problem will replicate.

But I hope that in the meantime someone more experienced will be able to help you out.

Options
2024-02-08 10:51:22

If I have to set static IP addresses, what use are DHCP reservations for then?
The MAC addresses are correct.
I'd be interested in your results, when you turn on DHCP on your devices, instead of static IP.

Options
2024-02-08 18:53:26

@gerba 

Hi,

Just tested and DHCP reservation works fine for me (on ER706W with OC200 tho).

I've added my PC to the Reservation list, restarted whole router and controller, after it got back online, I got the same IP address (reserved) from DHCP.

Options
2024-02-09 12:59:16

@gerba I am also facing the same issue. I have set up 4 networks. Each of them having some spare IP addresses outside the DHCP range. I've assigned a static IP in the device config, rebooted that device, rebooted the router (ER605), but none of the DHCP reservations ever get pushed to the clients.

The only thing I have actually managed to do is put my EAP610 on a certain VLAN, which caused all of the clients on the VLAN to succesfully adopt new IP addresses on that subnet.

Options
2024-02-10 02:10:52

@gerba 

gerba wrote

Hi!
Yes, that is exactly, what I also did.
But still the ER7212PC does not assign the reserved addresses, but addresses from the DHCP range.
This is the problem ...

simple as this, after you set the dhcp res ip, did you reboot your client?

no? of course you don't get the new dhcp res ip because you did not ask for the new ip.

get some basic knowledge about how dhcp works. reboot your devices would make it request a new ip addr from the server.

in this context, you'd get the new ip afterwards. this is some question asked thoundsand times on the forum and you did not take a second to search and read on the forum.. just ask without spending a single second... yet, you should call for tech support instead of asking on the forum.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-10 02:11:59

@_who_ read what i said and above and follow what raru said as well. very very very basic thing, and you guys are having trouble with it. you should really get familiarized with the OSI instead of spamming the same question over and over again.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-10 02:57:41

@Tedd404 I understand your frustration.

I wouldn't have showed up here without rebooting clients. I've tried /release /renew on a windows PC.

On my previous router this wasn't the case. I added a DHCP reservation and rebooted the client and had a static IP for my camera. 

Options
2024-02-10 02:59:41

Hi @_who_

_who_ wrote

@Tedd404 I understand your frustration.

I wouldn't have showed up here without rebooting clients. I've tried /release /renew on a windows PC.

On my previous router this wasn't the case. I added a DHCP reservation and rebooted the client and had a static IP for my camera. 

If possible, take a look at this? Where I gave two different ways of fixing something like this.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/652788?replyId=1312676

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1255

Replies: 17

Related Articles