All my Kasa plugs suddenly stopped working with Alexa: I can neither link *or unlink* accounts

All my Kasa plugs suddenly stopped working with Alexa: I can neither link *or unlink* accounts

2024-03-22 15:07:03
Model: KP115   HS110   KP105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.20

I have seven Kasa plugs of various types - I have listed three examples - on two different WiFi networks in our house and in the garden office. Last week ALL of them stopped working with Alexa after having been fine for several years. In the Alexa app, the Kasa skill says "The link between accounts has expired" and "Enable to use". When I click Enable, it gives some blurb and has an Agree & Link button. When I press this I get a pop-up saying "Network is unstable". It always says this, repeatedly, hour after hour and day after day. The network is not unstable, everything else (dozens of devices on the two networks) are working normally. 

All the plugs work in the Kasa app as usual, but that's no help to everyone else in the house and the various Alexa groups they're in. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:All my Kasa plugs suddenly stopped working with Alexa: I can neither link *or unlink* accounts
2024-03-25 03:47:21

@Skipstarry 

Try to delete and re-install the Alexa App. And keep your Kasa app updated as well.

Was your TP-Link/Kasa account password updated? What if you try to unlink or relink Alexa in the Kasa App instead?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:All my Kasa plugs suddenly stopped working with Alexa: I can neither link *or unlink* accounts
2024-03-25 18:22:55 - last edited 2024-03-25 18:48:39

@Wayne-TP thanks for the thought but as I say there are dozens of devices on the two networks working fine in Alexa and there is no way I am going to reinstall that lot from scratch! The problem is Kasa - aka Tapo aka TP-Link - that very confusion might be behind this, I suspect. There is no way to unlink the two: in Alexa it says "You can unlink anytime here" - but that link produces a 404 page. Trying to unlink from within Kasa produces a message saying "Please go to the Alexa app to unlink your account". So, Catch-22. I think deleting Kasa entirely might be the way to go. 

And here's a piece of nonsense. My Kasa app (now removed) could control all the plugs. My Tapo app can also control all the plugs. In Alexa the Tapo TP-Link skill can control only two cameras: it's not possible to add the plugs as devices. What a pig's breakfast, apparently of TP-Link's construction. 

Options
2024-03-28 07:29:02

@Skipstarry 

Does the same error occur with the Tapo App? (When you enable Kasa skill in Alexa App then it jumps to Tapo App) 

Which version of the Tapo and Alexa App are you using?

The tech team was made aware of this situation, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot this case. Please check your email box later and confirm.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-28 11:34:17

@Wayne-TP Hi, the support team are now in touch. I don't understand your question because there is no Tapo skill in Alexa that I can see. Just a TP-Link Kasa skill (in my Alexa app here in the UK anyway). 

Tapo app is 3.2.902. Alexa app is 2024.5

Options
2024-03-29 02:55:47

@Skipstarry 

Since your kasa app is removed now, so when you enable the Kasa skill in the Alexa app, it will jump to Tapo App instead. 

Options
2024-03-29 04:02:48

@Wayne-TP Ah, nobody told me that. I had reinstalled it with the old password - the one that Alexa knew. But it still didn't work. I've sent info the support team requested but they haven't responded. I'll try your idea., although it sounds weird! 

Options
2024-03-29 04:07:39

@Skipstarry No it doesn't do what you said. Alexa's Kasa skill tries to link to Kasa and when I press "Agree & Link" it just says "Network is unstable" the same as always.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 181

Replies: 7

Related Articles