App not showing correct status

2024-03-24 15:55:34 - last edited 2024-03-26 06:35:37
Model: Tapo S210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased the Tapo single light switch  s210 and linked this to the h200 hub and everything was functioning al fine. I purchased the L630 coloured WiFi smart bulbs and decided to use these in the lighting circuit with the light switch controlling the on and off functions.the set up appears to function ok but when you turn the light switch off the lamps still all show a status of them all being on and showing the dimming level even when the the light switch is showing off leaving you wondering if not present are they illuminated or not. I have tried to go through this with the so called technical  department at tp link only to have a series of mess ups frustrations and clear lack of knowledge 

During this painful episode I have asked four time for the ceo name and email so I can highlight to them not only the problem that I'm experiencing but also the exceptionally  poor service I have received from the even suggesting that I shouldn't use these bulbs with there switch absolutely ludicrous 

is anyone else experiencing this and can suggest what can be done , but I do suspect that there products are not functioning correctly due to the software not being capable 

also if anyone know the details of the ceo please let me know so I can highlight this to the company owners to make them aware of the poor service being used to deal with customers 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:App not showing correct status -Solution
2024-03-26 06:35:07 - last edited 2024-03-26 06:38:04

@Colw1 

As I explained in your other post, if the smart bulb is used with a switch (regardless it is a smart or a non-smart switch), when the switch turns off, it cuts off the power supply of the light bulb, therefore, the smart bulb loses its capability of smart control, as it no longer connects to the internet. 

The prerequisite for displaying device status on the app is that the device is connected to WiFi and the internet. However, if you have disconnected the sources that provide this information (device power and internet connectivity), the information cannot be updated.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/658832

All smart devices require continuous power and network connectivity to enable smart control. In your case, both the smart switch and smart light bulb can function independently. The switch can connect to a non-smart (dumb) light bulb, and the smart light bulb can be installed in a regular light socket. You can control their on/off state either through a physical switch or the app.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:App not showing correct status -Solution
2024-03-26 06:35:07 - last edited 2024-03-26 06:38:04

@Colw1 

As I explained in your other post, if the smart bulb is used with a switch (regardless it is a smart or a non-smart switch), when the switch turns off, it cuts off the power supply of the light bulb, therefore, the smart bulb loses its capability of smart control, as it no longer connects to the internet. 

The prerequisite for displaying device status on the app is that the device is connected to WiFi and the internet. However, if you have disconnected the sources that provide this information (device power and internet connectivity), the information cannot be updated.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/658832

All smart devices require continuous power and network connectivity to enable smart control. In your case, both the smart switch and smart light bulb can function independently. The switch can connect to a non-smart (dumb) light bulb, and the smart light bulb can be installed in a regular light socket. You can control their on/off state either through a physical switch or the app.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:App not showing correct status
2024-03-26 07:02:53
However, if you have disconnected the sources that provide this information (device power and internet connectivity), the information cannot be updated. With the statement above you are saying Info cannot be updated with disconnection from power however if there was a logic And gate put in the software this would automatically change this status to the correct one once power is lost just as other manufacturers do As for smart features on the bulb these Would only needed to be used when which is quite obvious Regards colin
Options
Re:App not showing correct status
2024-03-27 06:01:53

@Colw1 

The software cannot retrieve the device's status because the device is disconnected from WiFi, rendering it unable to send status information, and the software cannot receive any information (how? They are like two things on separate deserted islands, incapable of receiving or sending any information).

Suppose only the internet is interrupted but the device remains connected to WiFi, when the phone is connected to the same network as the light bulb. In that case, the app can still able to ask light bulb's status as they're under the same WiFi, making communication possible.

In your case, power interruption caused the WiFi disconnection, but there could be other scenarios leading to WiFi disconnection, such as network fluctuations or router power loss, leaving the device potentially in either an ON or OFF state. 

If you leave the switch OFF for a while, you will notice that the light bulb appears as "OFFLINE" instead of staying in the "ON" state.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 114

Replies: 3

Related Articles