L930-5 Light strip, other shared users cant adjust colours/brightness
2024-03-24 18:14:36 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:00:01
Tags: #Device Sharing #user control
Model: Tapo L930-5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 BUILD 231212 REL.210005

Recently purchased and installed the light strip, L930-5

Works fine from my iPhone.

However, I have shared it to my wife and she can turn it on/off but cant make any other changes e.g. brightness, colours, effects etc.

Seems limited permissions when shared to another user.

Surely there must be way to allow others to control the strips ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:L930-5 Light strip, other shared users cant adjust colours/brightness-Solution
2024-03-26 08:59:57 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:00:01

@AndrewJY 

That's how a shared device works. The guest account has limited access to the shared device in comparison to the owner account. How to share my Tapo Smart Devices with family

Customizing product feature permissions is currently not supported.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:L930-5 Light strip, other shared users cant adjust colours/brightness-Solution
2024-03-26 08:59:57 - last edited 2024-03-26 09:00:01

@AndrewJY 

That's how a shared device works. The guest account has limited access to the shared device in comparison to the owner account. How to share my Tapo Smart Devices with family

Customizing product feature permissions is currently not supported.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:L930-5 Light strip, other shared users cant adjust colours/brightness
2024-03-26 09:33:28

@AndrewJY 

Very disappointing that another user cant control lights. If had known this before I would have looked elsewhere to see if other suppliers allow.

Is there a way around using Apple homekit or Google to allow family to also control?

Options
Re:L930-5 Light strip, other shared users cant adjust colours/brightness
2024-03-27 06:36:42

@AndrewJY 

Option one, share the owner account instead.

Note

1. Only share the account with the person you trust.

2. Enable Tapo App two-step verification to increase account security. Making Your Account More Secure: Introducing Two-Step Verification (2FA) for the Tapo App

Or, as Tapo L930 supports both Google Home and HomeKit. You can link your account to the corresponding app and control the device using these third-party apps.

However, it's important to note that third-party apps may not offer the same comprehensive features as the native app. They only support some common functions typical for this product category, and certain unique features specific to our app may not be available on third-party apps, such as the pre-defined light effects, Away mode. 

How to connect my Tapo device (smart plug, smart camera, smart lighting) to Google Home

How to set up your HomeKit-supported Tapo or Kasa devices

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 120

Replies: 3

Tags

Device Sharing
user control
Related Articles