Firewall Rule to allow Tapo devices access to TP-link servers

2024-03-27 10:26:41 - last edited 3 weeks ago

I've recently set up a new router in my network and it appears to be blocking the WAN-out for my TP-Link devices. I can allow all traffic for WAN-out which will allow the connection again, but I'd rather set a custom rule to allow WAN-out for only the TP-Link devices.

Does anyone know the server address or the IP address for the tp-link servers that can be added to an allow rule?

Currently I'm only able to access my devices within my LAN. Google assistant can't access them.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Firewall Rule to allow Tapo devices access to TP-link servers-Solution
2024-04-03 03:18:28 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@rjwill10 

Try open port 443 for your Tapo devices, which should facilitate its connection to the cloud. 

As the server domain dynamically switches when connection issues occur, it may not suit your situation.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-03 08:40:01 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Thanks. I actually found that the DNS server I added didn't like the tapo bulbs, but worked with the Tapo camera. 1.1.1.1 didn't like the bulbs, but I changed primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and now it works.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
2024-04-03 03:18:28 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@rjwill10 

Try open port 443 for your Tapo devices, which should facilitate its connection to the cloud. 

As the server domain dynamically switches when connection issues occur, it may not suit your situation.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-03 08:40:01 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Thanks. I actually found that the DNS server I added didn't like the tapo bulbs, but worked with the Tapo camera. 1.1.1.1 didn't like the bulbs, but I changed primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and now it works.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 143

Replies: 2

Related Articles