Tapo C425 - Why is this with RTSP ?!?

2024-05-22 07:17:33 - last edited 2024-05-22 07:18:41
Model: Tapo C425  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.2.18

Hello

Even after reading some threads in this forum i can not help to come to the conclusion that you must take actions and react to clients on the issues raised for this device.

I have bought a C425 camera for 2 main reasons, battery operated and able to create a camera account to then use it as best fits me.

After installing it it does not comply with what is expected and even written in the product manuals/FAQ.

So... i want to have direct access to RTSP on it and i can not because i have no way to set a camera account.

Now, i have a micro sd inserted, does this impact inm any way? I have other cameras from you and is does not change anything and i can setup as i need.

Can you please tell me how to setup the camera account or what is the default user/pass for it?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Tapo C425 - Why is this with RTSP ?!?
2024-05-23 11:06:20

@unhuzpt 

As a battery camera, the Tapo C425 does not support RTSP. You may consider those AC-powered models

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-05-23 11:11:15

@Wayne-TP 

The thing is that based on the online documentation TP states that you can create a camera account and connect to it.

And that is what i needed to do. Now i bought this unit and i can n ot make the use i intended to.

And as you can see the port/service is open and even allows login, just i do not have the credentials.... maybe i need to "test" the auth settings to try to.

As costumer i feel this is not acceptable; we buy a device and should be able to use it as we want.

You can mention battery usage or any other aspect, that makes it even worse because your advertised 300/150/**** days are based in a un realistic use case.

But for me that is not the worse.

Is really i can not access the camera streaming as i should be able to.

Options
2024-05-24 08:23:50

@unhuzpt 

Where is the information you are referencing? Can you post a link here? 

In this FAQ instruction, the point 9 specifically mentions that battery camera models do not support RTSP. How to view Tapo camera on PC/NAS/NVR through RTSP/Onvif Protocol

For battery-powered cameras, they usually conserve power by staying in sleep mode and activate only when triggered by a PIR sensor. RTSP streaming, however, requires the camera to be online for extended periods, leading to faster battery drain. This setup isn’t ideal for battery-powered cameras from a design standpoint.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Wayne-TP 

Hello again

Sorry for the delayed reply, just too much stuiff.

So, here is the link where you can see that is possible to create a camera account:

https://www.tapo.com/en/faq/76/

"(...)

How to create or change the camera account on the Tapo app

TC40, TC41, TC60, TC65, TC70, TC71, TC73, TC82, TC82 KIT, TC85, Tapo C100, Tapo C110, Tapo C110P2, Tapo C110P4, Tapo C111, Tapo C120, Tapo C125, Tapo C200, Tapo C210, Tapo C210P2, Tapo C211, Tapo C212, Tapo C220, Tapo C225, Tapo C310, Tapo C310P2, Tapo C320WS, Tapo C325WB, Tapo C425, Tapo C500, Tapo C510W, Tapo C520WS, Tapo C720
(,...)

Now you we can argue about the model, release date, etc but i am not the only costumer that bought this unit reading in different places it supported RTSP and then we can not use it. The service is there, the port is responding, just we do not have the credentials nor possibility to set them in the app as we should.
We are the owners of the device, battery usage is a costumer problem, being able to use it as intended and being mislead by documentation is another thing.

" This setup isn’t ideal for battery-powered cameras from a design standpoint. "
Is clear the possibility was there in previous firmware, is clear that the service is running and responding, so it was designed this way.
The battery usage is not a justification, i can only understand this if you had too many complains about battery drain by people using RTSP but i do not care baout the others. I want to use the funciotnality. Why should i be penalized due to others if the camera was designed to do this?

So can you please provide the authentication for the RTSP?

Thanks in advance.
Options
a week ago

@unhuzpt I bought c425 for the same reason. Able to connect via rtsp and now after an fw upgrade unknowingly wipe out this feature.

There's also reason why I didn't choose an AC powered cam because my current cam position currently doesn't have an AC!

unhuzpt wrote

Hello

Even after reading some threads in this forum i can not help to come to the conclusion that you must take actions and react to clients on the issues raised for this device.

I have bought a C425 camera for 2 main reasons, battery operated and able to create a camera account to then use it as best fits me.

After installing it it does not comply with what is expected and even written in the product manuals/FAQ.

So... i want to have direct access to RTSP on it and i can not because i have no way to set a camera account.

Now, i have a micro sd inserted, does this impact inm any way? I have other cameras from you and is does not change anything and i can setup as i need.

Can you please tell me how to setup the camera account or what is the default user/pass for it?

Options
a week ago

@unhuzpt  i bought C425 for the same reason only to find out that RTSP was phased out only after purchasing it. It doesn't.make sense that TP Link took the liberty of restricting such usage only after  it was launched. Clearly this was an after thought . Please let the customers decide for themselves how to use the camera as best fit. I even bought the solar panels to address this issue of battery drainage.i feel cheated. Ridiculuous

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Wayne-TP  @Solla-topee

So i thing we getting things going to work in a constructive way with TP-Link to address many costumers concerns and frustration.

We are here in the community forum, and would like to have feedback and support form the brand.

I believe this issue is easy to solve and would make an important step on the direction of costumer satisfaction and brand value.

Can we get feedback and support form the brand?

Options
Sunday

@Wayne-TP The whole reason for my purchase was that the camera supported RTSP. So, the documentation is wrong online. Is this going to be brought back in a new firmware upgrade? 

Options
Monday

@Wayne-TP so we have provided you the evidence that C425 was launched with RTSP as advertised feature. what's TPlink going to do next?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 294

Replies: 9

Related Articles