TG-3468 doesn't go full-speed

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: TG-3468  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 10.71.312.2024

I have a very poor quality PC atm, it's an old iMedia s1300 from Packardbell with am3 processor and da061l-3d motherboard. Onboard nvidia lan can only run 10/100, so i decided to get an affordable option gigabit card to at least have usable internet connection. My ISP provides me with 900 mbps pppoe connection, it works fine wirelessly (700 mbps hardware limit on galaxy s20 fe) AND it worked fine (slightly more than promised by ISP even) on wired before, when i still had a decent desktop. Problem is i'm being limited to 250 mbps on this new system, no matter what i'm trying out. It also shows 1000/1000 link speed in windows network settings and powershell so i'm really not sure what the problem could be. Nothing else in network setup was changed i.e router same, cable same (cat. 7). Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TG-3468 doesn't go full-speed-Solution

@Tori9th 

Ok, thanks. You don't mention it, but I assume you are doing the speedtest via a website inside a web browser.

I have noticed previously that especially Ookla Speedtest (speedtest.net) is quite CPU heavy when run in a web browser, which means that on old and slow computers it might be capped by the CPU's performance.

To rule out that this is an issue I recommend you install Ookla's "Speedtest For Windows" software on your computer and use it for speed testing.

www.speedtest.net/apps/windows , either 64-bit or 32-bit, depending on your version of Windows.

In case you are running Linux, there is a command line version of the software available.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:TG-3468 doesn't go full-speed
a week ago

@Tori9th 

Hi

You could perform hardware testing by swapping out the PCIe slot, the modem/router's Gigabit LAN interface, the PC, or the network cable (CAT5e/6).
To obtain a more accurate speed reading, always select the nearest server node while measuring.

Options
a week ago

@Tori9th 

Hi,

In addition to what Joseph-TP suggested please also explain in detail how you are measuring the network speed.

Options
a week ago

@woozle Performed via speedtest on several different servers. Also attempted through similar service for the same result.

Options
a week ago

@Joseph-TP Router is modern enough, ASUS RT-AX55. Speed readings were fine when used before on z370 motherboard with integrated gigabit port. Cable also stayed the same and was not damaged in the mean time. Sadly can't test another PC for the lack of it. Motherboard is primitive, and would not allow me to swap pci slot, i'll attach a picture of identical board from the internet

Options
a week ago
Options
Re:TG-3468 doesn't go full-speed-Solution

@Tori9th 

Ok, thanks. You don't mention it, but I assume you are doing the speedtest via a website inside a web browser.

I have noticed previously that especially Ookla Speedtest (speedtest.net) is quite CPU heavy when run in a web browser, which means that on old and slow computers it might be capped by the CPU's performance.

To rule out that this is an issue I recommend you install Ookla's "Speedtest For Windows" software on your computer and use it for speed testing.

www.speedtest.net/apps/windows , either 64-bit or 32-bit, depending on your version of Windows.

In case you are running Linux, there is a command line version of the software available.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@woozle Precisely correct and i did as you suggested, it really was as shrimple as that. Standalone app does show correct speeds +-. Thank you so much. Thread can be closed now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 147

Replies: 7

Related Articles