Archer A6 shows only Power and Lock lights

2024-07-06 12:30:07
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been facing an issue where in my tp-link archer a6 V2 was not getting connected to the network and only power light was being lit up. Upon reset (attempted by the network provider in my area) it started showing power and lock lights and rendered the router unusable. Is there any solution for this? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A6 shows only Power and Lock lights
2024-07-06 13:00:08 - last edited 2024-07-06 13:03:07

@Chetas 

Hi,

How did the service provider attempt to reset the router? I mean, did they come to your home to do it or did they try to do it remotely from their office?

In case it was the latter, then try yourself to reset the Archer A6 by pressing and holding (about 5 seconds) the small "Reset" button on the backside of the router.

If that doesn't bring the router back to life, then I am afraid it might be broken.

Edit: In case nobody has done it before, first power the A6 off and then on again. ("Power On/Off" switch on the back of the router)

Options
2024-07-06 13:31:12

Hi @woozle,

I'd like to clarify that by network provider I meant ISP. Also, do you mean that the router might be bricked when you said that it might be broken? Or is it some irreversible hardware damage?

I've attached a pic of the issue below. 

Thanks

Options
2024-07-06 22:07:26

@Chetas 

I have never heard of a router "bricking" just out of the blue.

Routers usually get "bricked" if something goes wrong during the installation of a firmware (for example, if the device powers off during the process) or if someone tries to install a wrong firmware (i.e. a firmware that was not designed for this model).

But since the LED status shown by your Archer A6 is just like the one example in this guide https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1482/ you should probably try whether the router can be recovered. Just follow the steps of that guide.

By the way, did the ISP sent a person to your home to "reset" the Archer A6 or what did they do? Do you know if they might have attempted to update the firmware?

Options