KL110B no longer connects to WiFi

2024-07-09 00:11:57 - last edited 2024-07-10 07:36:46
Model: KL110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I've got a number of KL110 bulbs, three are v1 KL110B in ceiling lights, the rest are v2 screw fit KL110 in floor standers. All been working fine until one KL110B has dropped off the network.

Went through the soft reset, hard reset, factory reset steps. Get the three flashes and all that, and the Kasa app can connect directly to the bulb, but it won't complete the setup and connect to WiFi.

Triple checked the WiFi key which is correct. It's the SSID and key for my 2.4Ghz network. I've tried swapping it to a fitting that definitely is working and is a metre from the access point but nothing works.

Just to check all the details are right, repeated the process with a bulb that does work in same location, same key, and that connects fine. This one bulb does not.

I've got a tp-link access point and I can see from that the bulb attempt to connect but it's got a 255.255.255.255 IP address! and keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.

Not sure on the firmware though the bulbs all got updates and the KL110B that work are on 1.8.11.

I'd buy a replacement but it seems Kasa is discontinued in the UK and not keen on Tapo as I belive they require Internet connection and I'm using Home Assistant to not rely on Internet connectivity and cloud services. There are some screw fit KL110 about still but I'd have to change my light fitting and UK ceiling lights are usually bayonet.

Options
5 Reply
Re:KL110B no longer connects to WiFi
2024-07-10 07:35:35

@tj_moore 

Can you try to enable a hotspot WiFi with another phone and connect the bulb to the hotspot WiFi? Or enable a 2.4G guest WiFi for testing. 

What's your network topology? Are there multiple network segments? Make sure your phone is on the same subnet as the WiFi the bulb is about to connect to.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-07-11 11:56:24

@Wayne-TP 

Was just about to try the hotspot but suddenly it's working again. 

I'd had it turned off at the wall switch for a couple of days and just turned it on and connected first time without going through the setup. Must have kept the settings for the SSID from previous attempts.

Odd as I tried it many times in multiple locations where other bulbs would connect fine. Always just that one bulb.

May be coincidence but I had updated the firmware on my access point, though for a different reason.

Or could be a stuck IP in the router DHCP and leaving it off has cleared it. Don't know really. Just have to see if it manages to stay online.

Out of curiosity though, do the Tapo bulbs require and Internet connection, ie can't work locally if the Internet is down / depends on cloud service? 

Just wondering if the Tapo don't have the annoying noise issue the Kasa do. Then I could have one in the bedroom and leave it on at the mains. I have to turn the kasa off at the switch at night because it annoys me and I hear the bulb noises in my sleep! 

Options
2024-07-12 08:45:57

@tj_moore 

The Kasa and Tapo bulb can still function normally within a local network without internet connection. When your mobile device is connected to the local WiFi, you can use the app to turn on/off the light bulb. The smart bulb's schedule, timer, and away mode features will continue working properly on the local network. However, cloud-related functionalities such as automation will be unavailable in this case.

It's important to note that if the device experiences a power outage, any time-related features will not resume working properly after the power is restored, unless the device is able to reconnect to the internet and re-synchronize the time.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-07-12 10:16:37 - last edited 2024-07-12 10:17:33

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks. Would the same be true when used with Home Assistant? 

I went with Kasa originally and there were concerns with Tapo compatibility with Home Assistant some years back and HA in particular is designed to not rely on an Internet connection and third party cloud services for privacy as well as Internet connectivity. HA would provide the automation, as it does with my Kasa bulbs.

Options
2024-07-15 06:08:29

@tj_moore 

Kasa and Tapo API are not open to the public and unauthorized third parties. We can't tell how it will work on unauthorized third-party platforms nor can we provide support for it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 209

Replies: 5

Related Articles