HS200 quits working, orange/green LED flashes every 0.4 seconds

2024-08-04 19:59:26 - last edited 2024-09-09 02:39:16
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: off line

Of the 28 "HS200 ver 5.8" that I have had in operation for just over 3 years, four have failed during operation. The LED light blinks orange then green and the switch makes a clicking sound every 0.4 seconds (click for video if it is still August 2024). None of my other Kasa switches have failed during this time period (well, maybe a dimmer, but I haven't verified that yet).

Does this seem like a reasonable failure rate? It calculates to an MTBF of 20 years. Of course regular switches don't get anywhere near this low a MTBF.
Has anyone else seen this failure symptom, or know the cause?

Note: I keep firmware up to date, but the failed devices have been removed from my App, so I can't determine the firmware version.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS200 quits working, orange/green LED flashes every 0.4 seconds-Solution
2024-08-07 02:30:28 - last edited 2024-09-09 02:39:16

@jdp55 

You may try to factory reset the switch, see if that helps. If resetting the device doesn't help, then the switch must have encountered a failure. It's unfortunate that your product has encountered an issue - any product can potentially experience some kind of failure, which is unavoidable.

How to reset TP-Link Kasa smart switch and plug

During the warranty period, any product failure can be handled according to the warranty policy.
If the device warranty period has expired, it is recommended that you consider purchasing a new device.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:HS200 quits working, orange/green LED flashes every 0.4 seconds-Solution
2024-08-07 02:30:28 - last edited 2024-09-09 02:39:16

@jdp55 

You may try to factory reset the switch, see if that helps. If resetting the device doesn't help, then the switch must have encountered a failure. It's unfortunate that your product has encountered an issue - any product can potentially experience some kind of failure, which is unavoidable.

How to reset TP-Link Kasa smart switch and plug

During the warranty period, any product failure can be handled according to the warranty policy.
If the device warranty period has expired, it is recommended that you consider purchasing a new device.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS200 quits working, orange/green LED flashes every 0.4 seconds
2024-08-07 17:54:31

@Wayne-TP I've tried the reset. It is a failed device. Do you have any information on what is the nature of the failure, given I've had four devices fail in the exact same way? This must be a common failure description, I'd think. So you must internally be aware of it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 2

Related Articles