Doorbell Video Call Options For iOS Devices
2024-08-06 08:06:39 - last edited 2024-08-06 08:43:01
Model: Tapo D230S1   Tapo D130  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This Article Applies To

Users of the Tapo iOS App with Tapo Doorbell

Background

In the recent update, the doorbell video call feature of the doorbell device has been further optimized and enhanced. Unlike the previous push notification format, with this feature enabled, you will now receive a doorbell video call on your phone similar to an incoming phone call. This ensures you won't miss any doorbell rings due to not noticing a push notification.

We also understand that some users prefer the push notification format. Don't worry, you can freely choose whether to enable the doorbell video call feature.

• Android users can adjust the settings via this path: Tapo App -> Doorbell Device Settings page -> Doorbell -> Doorbell Video Call.
  • On the iOS system, the doorbell video call feature utilizes the iOS CallKit system, the feature on&off control is not allowed on the App level. Therefore, the current form of the doorbell video call feature cannot be disabled.  [Workaround available]

Workaround

Our team will continue to improve this feature in the future.

To meet the needs of certain users, our developer has managed to release a beta app as a temporary workaround for iOS users. In this version, users can disable the doorbell video call, the doorbell press will be notified through APP push notification. 

Click to download Tapo beta App (Testflight)

Note: Disable App auto update (Phone Settings -> App Store -> App Updates.) to avoid the beta app being overwritten by new production versions.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
22 Reply
Re:Doorbell Video Call Options For iOS Devices
2024-08-07 19:46:55

@Wayne-TP 

While I enjoy the frequency of updates and great support, this decision to change the video call feature seems very strange. 

I would think most people will find the new approach intrusive and the workaround path is not really simple. 

The new feature should have been in the beta and you could have taken more time to gain feedback and identify a sensible workaround. 

I now have a very unhappy wife

Options
2024-08-08 12:54:12

@Wayne-TP I strongly hope the TP-Link-team can make a solution in the present Tapo-app in order to switch off or on the Doorbel-Video-Call Options for iOS-users.

The workaround TP-Link now presents is too difficult for me !  For iOS-users it should be as easy as for Android-users. I hope TP-Link can do so as soon as possible.

Thanx in advance !

Options
2024-08-08 13:47:57

I really hope enabling and disabling feature is back on iOS soon. I miss that feature.

Options
2024-08-09 16:25:47

@Wayne-TP I don't wish to join some sort of test for other users, all I want is turn off the video call feature.

why is there not a simple on/off button? More so, why am I being forced to use this feature I don't want?

I paid a lot of money for the doorbell, hub and recently invested in indoor and outdoor cameras so they could all be on the same system.

veey disappointing to say the least.

Options
2024-08-10 06:20:48 - last edited 2024-08-10 06:30:18

First of all, I have to create an account so I could post here, and the password setting is infuriating. You don't allow user to consecutively repeat two character? Really? That's going to reduce security how? Even a random password generated with a 128-bit generator couldn't meet your requirement. Have you even tested it with a random password generator? Very poorly thought out. Talk to a security professional and get their opinion. Tell your devs don't make things up.

Back to the topic, this is a basic functional requirement. You need to provide an option to allow user to choose whether he/she gets a call on the phone when someone rings the doorbell. The workaround is not trivial. Have you even considered what kind of hardship a user needs to go through with this fantastic push of a feature but without the option to turn it off? What brilliant product manager and tech lead allowed this feature to be approved and merged without an option to disable on iOS? It's intrusive af and I'm considering abandoning my entire TP link suite and start a review to dissuade users on Tapo series. I truly hope this poorly thought out feature is not a sign of a mismanaged product management behind the scene. FIX YOUR MESS, PLEASE. 

Options
2024-08-10 18:48:42

@J-S I agree with your comments and fail to see why Tapo would even allow the lack of functionality to switch of a feature that's not required by some of us.

i have a doorbell, hub, remote plug, three internal cameras and two external cameras, the latter of which are still in the box which I'm considering their return as not required.

It would be great if we could have some response as to how long it's going to take to fix this ridiculous situation as I'm fed up of my phone ringing every time someone rings my doorbell.

Options
2024-08-12 06:17:39

It's infuriating that this hasn't been fix yet, it's been weeks with no updates. 

Options
2024-08-15 10:26:55

@Wayne-TP  - new user here. I have downloaded the Testflight Beta version. However I now receive two notifications for each alert ...

Can you advise?

Options
2024-08-15 10:37:27

@FinnGLA log out of the non beta app. That's what I did.

Options
2024-08-15 10:54:08

@rahulk1105 Thank you! I should have thought of that :-) 

Options