KE100 Target Temperature Operation

2 weeks ago - last edited Sunday
Model: KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.8.0 Build 240202 Rel 135229

Hi, I have a large number of Tapo/Kasa products already. I now want to equip all of the radiators in my large house (20) with smart TRVs. As a test I have purchased enough for one large room that has 4 radiators.

So my test setup is as follows - 4 x KE100s, a KH100 hub, and a TP315 thermometer. 

The setup went very smoothly. I use the TP315 to control the KE100s that I have put in a group. I used Smart Control in the app to set up a heating schedule. Everything turned on perfectly as expected but I have come across one issue.

I set up a target temperature (of the TP315) in the app of 22c. However, well before reaching the target temperature the KE100s start to close down and then cool down. As a result, the room never achieves the set target temperature of 22c. I can understand the logic of the KE100s starting to close near to the target room temperature so as to avoid a large 'overshoot' in room temperature but these valves are shutting down way too soon.

One option is that I could set a higher target temperature, say 23c, and then when the KE100s 'switch off early' I can achieve my target room temperature, but this just seems a 'bodge' to get around the devices not working properly.

Is there any way of tweaking the valves as, as it is, these do not really meet my needs. What about somehow using Smart Actions rather than Smart Control to turn the KE100s on/off based on the actual room temperature, thereby circumventing the early valve closing?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:KE100 Target Temperature Operation-Solution
Sunday - last edited Sunday

Thank you for the various input/suggestions for using the KE100s. However, having now given them a good test in the way I want to use them in my house (multiple KE100s, grouped by room, driven by T315s) we still haven't found a way to get around this 'premature valve closing' issue before the target room temperature is achieved.

Sadly, particularly given the extensive amount of other Tapo/Kasa equipment we already have, I think we will have to give up on using the KE100s to control our 15-20 radiators and try a different test with some other smart TVRs before making our big purchase. I had really hoped to stick with all Tapo/Kasa hardware and software but, in this case, it doesn't do the job (at the moment).

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:KE100 Target Temperature Operation
a week ago

@Grahamu 

Do you use KE100's smart control feature? What settings did you create with the T315 sensor?

Please share your settings here and a screenshot of the temperature Report.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago
Something must be off with your set-up as I have the same set-up (KE100's paired with T315's) and I can hear the KE100 motor close the valve exactly when the T315's reach the turn-off temp (and turn back on when it drops below it). Few things to check maybe: 1. Do a recalibration of the KE100's 2. Ensure under 'Temp Correction' that each KE100 is 100% connected to the correct 'Detection Sensor' (Also make sure it's not ticked under 'Built-in Sensor)
Options
a week ago

@Wayne-TP 

Hi Wayne, yes, I use the Smart Control function and have set target tempertures for the full 24 hour period. I have also set one of KE100s in the group as the 'prime' and use that to replicate the Smart Control settings across all 4 KE100s.

I have set up the T315 as the Designated Sensor for each KE100 under the Temperature Correction setting.

I have the T315 set in High Sensitivity Mode for accuracy purposes.

As I say, in principal it all works very well, with the one exception that the KE100s start to close down, in my view, too early i.e. too far away from the target temperature. As a result, the room does heat up and then oscillate up and down but below the target temperature. I can sort of achieve what I want by raising the target temperture by 1 degree but then the system oscillates above the temperture I really want. 

Options
a week ago

@Markirl 

Thx for your reply.

Interesting. That is excatly what I expected to happen. In fact, the status does change from heating to non-heating at the correct temperature point. The issue is that even before it reaches the target temperature, you can here the KE100s shutting down bit by bit. So, they might start to close down say 1 degree before target, then close down a bit more 0.5 degree before target, etc. All the while, the status is still shown as 'heating'.

In a lot of ways this does make sense as if they were open fully until the target temperature is reached and then fully closed, the heat in the radiators would result in a significant overshoot in room temperature. Closing down before reaching target would avoid this. To me the issue is more about the point at which they start to close down.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

I'd suggest unpairing everything and then recalibrating just one of the KE100's. Then re-pair just that single KE100 with the T315 and see how that works out.

@Wayne-TP Can you confirm if the KE100 is supposed to gradually shut off the valve as it approaches the target temp or is it just a simple fully open/fully closed operation depending on if below or at set temp?

Options
a week ago

@Markirl 

I'll give that a go. Thx

Options
a week ago

@Grahamu 

What is the range of difference between the actual temperature and the set target temperature? Is the T315 set with an offset?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Wayne-TP 

Hi Wayne, it is not a lot, 0.5C below target is the closest it gets. So, if I set the target 1C above what I really want, then it ends up 0.5C above what I want.

Re  an offset with the T315, because I have selected the T315 in the Temp Correction section as the Designated Sensor, I can't make any offset there and I can't seem to find anywhere in the T315 settings to apply an offset.

To me, it seems as if the KE100 partly closes perhaps 1C before target temp and then fully closes at perhaps 0.5C before target temp. If, instead, it partly closed at 0.5C before target and fully closed at target temp, then the end result would be much closer.

Options
a week ago

@Markirl 

I tried your suggestion but the result was the same. Thanks anyway.

Options
a week ago

@Grahamu No worries - I'll have a listen out for my KE100's to see if I can hear the valve slightly close in advance of hitting set temp as usually I only hear it when it closes at the set temp.

Options