Tapo camera hacked! Camera moved by itself.

a week ago - last edited Saturday
Tags: #hacked
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.15

My camera was hacked last night when I realised that the camera was rotating on it own!

My Tapo app did not register anyone else logging into my account except for my phone. 

I have since turned off all my Tapo Cameras.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo camera hacked! Camera moved by itself.-Solution

@mix1987 

Generally, the pan&tilt camera may rotate on its own under the following circumstances, aside from manual control. Please confirm whether the issue with your device might be caused by any of the following situations. To help with this issue, please contact the local TP-Link support team via email directly. 

1. Motion Tracking feature enabled. In addition to the motion tracking switch within the camera settings page, there are two other ways to enable motion tracking: camera Home/Away mode and automation.

• Motion tracking feature: App Camera Settings -> Detection -> Motion Tracking.
  • How to edit Home and Away Mode for Tapo&Kasa Cameras on the Tapo app
  • Automation (App -> Smart tab -> Automation): The Tapo C200 can be set up as an action device in automation to control turning the motion tracking feature on or off. Check if there is any automation rule that includes this configuration. E.g. When the front door light turn on, Then turn on C200 Motion Tracking.

2. Reboot. Check if the camera has enabled Auto Reboot, or if the camera reboots due to unstable power supply.

• Auto Reboot: App Camera Settings -> Reboot Camera  ->Auto Reboot.
  • Check whether the power cord and power adapter of the camera are connected securely.
  • If you are not using the original power supply, check if the power supply parameters meet the requirements. Take Tapo C200(EU) V5 for instance, the adapter output should be 9V, 0.6A. Specification - Tapo C200

3. Pan&Tilt control triggered by automation. The Tapo C200 can be set up as an action device in automation to rotate camera to a specific viewpoint (Pan & Tilt Control). Check if there is any automation rule that includes this configuration. E.g. When at 09:00 AM, Then rotate C200 to viewpoint 1.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo camera hacked! Camera moved by itself.-Solution

@mix1987 

Generally, the pan&tilt camera may rotate on its own under the following circumstances, aside from manual control. Please confirm whether the issue with your device might be caused by any of the following situations. To help with this issue, please contact the local TP-Link support team via email directly. 

1. Motion Tracking feature enabled. In addition to the motion tracking switch within the camera settings page, there are two other ways to enable motion tracking: camera Home/Away mode and automation.

• Motion tracking feature: App Camera Settings -> Detection -> Motion Tracking.
  • How to edit Home and Away Mode for Tapo&Kasa Cameras on the Tapo app
  • Automation (App -> Smart tab -> Automation): The Tapo C200 can be set up as an action device in automation to control turning the motion tracking feature on or off. Check if there is any automation rule that includes this configuration. E.g. When the front door light turn on, Then turn on C200 Motion Tracking.

2. Reboot. Check if the camera has enabled Auto Reboot, or if the camera reboots due to unstable power supply.

• Auto Reboot: App Camera Settings -> Reboot Camera  ->Auto Reboot.
  • Check whether the power cord and power adapter of the camera are connected securely.
  • If you are not using the original power supply, check if the power supply parameters meet the requirements. Take Tapo C200(EU) V5 for instance, the adapter output should be 9V, 0.6A. Specification - Tapo C200

3. Pan&Tilt control triggered by automation. The Tapo C200 can be set up as an action device in automation to rotate camera to a specific viewpoint (Pan & Tilt Control). Check if there is any automation rule that includes this configuration. E.g. When at 09:00 AM, Then rotate C200 to viewpoint 1.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo camera hacked! Camera moved by itself.
a week ago

@mix1987 That can happen if it's automatically installed a firmware update.. it needs to reboot to apply it (which does a self-test of the pan/tilt when it boots up).

Options
Re:Tapo camera hacked! Camera moved by itself.
a week ago

@MattC_UK 

Thank you for your addition. Yes, firmware updates will also involve restarting the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 138

Replies: 3

Tags

hacked
Related Articles