Tapo D230 doorbell LED status light

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo D230S1  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.16

I've just purchased this doorbell and set it up yesterday. If it works in a stable manner it will be great.  I hope it settles down and does not have to be returned for a refund but it's becoming quite frustrating trying to get it to work properly.

I've read loads of stuff on here already and I'm pretty sure all my settings are correct but the doorbell will not operate consistently.  Sometimes it is literally minutes later before my phone rings or receives a notification following a bell push even though the signal strength is good at -42 (RSSI) and even better on the hub.  I've tried the hub wired and wireless with no difference.  I get a message saying the network is unstable when replaying a video clip too (it idefinitely sn't unstable - the router is close by and all devices show full bars) yet the second time the video will play no problem.

My first question is should the green status light on the doorbell be solid 24/7 or does it go out when the bell is in battery saving/sleep mode?  If the green light should be continuous even when the bell is in power saving/sleep mode then I guess mine is faulty as it seems to be off sometimes then comes on for a bit and goes off again.  If someone could answer this question as a starting point that would be great.

Thanks in anticipation.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo D230 doorbell LED status light
a week ago

@Deanosaurus 

Regarding the delay notification issue, you may check this article for troubleshooting. How to Troubleshoot Android Delayed Notifications on Kasa /Tapo APP

In addition to wifi signal strength, the router's internet connection (speed) and mobile phone network quality can have an impact on camera viewing. Are too many devices connected? Are high-bandwidth activities taking place? When utilizing mobile data, make sure to check your phone's signal strength. If you have a VPN enabled and are experiencing loading troubles with the Tapo App, please disable it first.

More suggestions on What should I do if I can't view the Tapo&Kasa camera?

Generally, Tapo doorbell's LED indicator lights up when the camera is awake, for example, when viewing in the Tapo App, motion detected, doorbell is pressed. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the reply.  I don't think I have any Wifi issues.  It's a Virgin Hub 3 and most stuff is on my hardwired network Smart TV etc..  Only a couple of phones, laptop an iPad and a printer on Wifi.  Doorbell to hub (sub G non Wifi) connection showing good at -45 RSSI and hub to router showing -44 RSSI.

I've followed your link to the troubleshooting delayed notifications but it's not too helpful as some of the settings referred to simply do not exist for example...

"Allow Tapo/Kasa to auto-start in Security/Settings > Auto-start." - this menu path/option does not exist at all on my phone (Motorola G8 Android 11)

Earlier this morning my phone received a person detected notification at 9:48 but the time on the notification was 9:45.  Doorbell presses it seems are only delayed by up to10 seconds at worst (internal hub rings then shortly afterwards my phone does).

It's good to know that it's correct for the green status light to go out when the doorbell sleeps.

Can you confirm how the event wake-up sensitivity of the doorbell PIR relates to distance at which it will detect movement?  I'd like to set it so that it will wake up when a person approaches the door from say 5m away but I don't want it to wake up for birds of tree branches/bushes moving in the wind.  It appears that the detection zones only apply AFTER the doorbell has woken up is this correct?  If so how do I set the distance within which it will detect movement for the wake up function?

Thanks.

Options
a week ago

@Deanosaurus 

Please check the battery settings or app permissions to see if there are options that allow the app to run continuously in the background. For instance, on some phones, you can select "Put Unused Apps to Sleep" in the battery settings. If you’re unsure, contact your phone's support for assistance, as the names and paths for these settings may vary between different brands and even models of the same brand.

The Tapo app’s push notifications on Android devices are delivered through Google’s servers. According to your description, if the timestamp of the Tapo notification is earlier than the actual notification time on your phone, it indicates that the notification reached Google’s servers well before it was delivered to your device. Unfortunately, we cannot control the delays that occur on Google’s end, which may be due to the app and notification settings on your phone or issues with Google’s servers.

Regarding the delay in the hub's ringing, could you clarify whether you enabled the "Ring Connected Hub" feature on the doorbell device page, or did you create a separate automation for this?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago

@Deanosaurus 

When the wake-up sensitivity of the D230 is set to the default level 6, the detection range is approximately 5 meters (installation height: 1.2 meters).

Detection is triggered only after the camera is awakened, which is controlled by the PIR sensor. You can refer to this article for more information. How to Install and Configure Battery-Powered Cameras for Optimal Detection Performance

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 123

Replies: 4

Related Articles