HS100 Newbie - and confused

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-04 23:29:20
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

OK, Let's start from the beginning

I have TWO HS100s and a wifi network with TWO SSIDs (one is secured, one uses MAC filtering - I use the first with my HS100s and the second with my iDevices)

When I configured the HS100s they worked FLAWLESSLY and Alexa can see both of them

BUT, over a couple of days, I noticed that they kept appearing to go "offline" - only to reappear again 10-20 minutes later - without ANY intervention on my part

I wondered if their IP addresses were "timing out" so I changed my DHCP server to assign STATIC IP addresses to them

That may have helped (it's early days yet) BUT, even though I know their IP addresses (and they show up in a network scan on my iPad) I can't ping them reliably either. Sometimes they are there, but more often I get "Destination Host Unreachable" which makes no sense

ANY advice would be appreciated.

One question that bothers me (and I am sure the answer must be no) - "Now I have configured them with static IP addresses, do I need to go through setup/registration again??)

Thanks all

These are SO smart when they work, it's really frustrating when they don't :(

Phil G
Options
20 Reply
Re:HS100 Newbie - and confused
2017-07-06 00:41:03
I have now reflashed to the latest firmware (as suggested by TP-Link support)

Things seems better, but the switches are still appearing to be disconnected at random times, and then they connect again - on their own

Also, pinging their IP addresses is VERY hit & miss (more often I get "destination host is unreachable" as opposed to a reply or a time out)

This is SO frustrating
Options
2017-07-11 16:40:42

philguk wrote

I have now reflashed to the latest firmware (as suggested by TP-Link support)
Things seems better, but the switches are still appearing to be disconnected at random times, and then they connect again - on their own
Also, pinging their IP addresses is VERY hit & miss (more often I get "destination host is unreachable" as opposed to a reply or a time out)
This is SO frustrating

have you told TP-Link support about this? they should reply if you update to them.
Options
2017-07-11 20:32:50
"destination host is unreachable" is often a problem with your network vs a timeout which can be either. You can confirm by restarting your router and any extenders and trying again.
Options
2017-07-12 20:26:12
My issue has been escalated by TP-Link - so I am waiting to hear from the next level

My network is somewhat extensive compared with a typical home LAN I suspect, but these are the ONLY devices I am having challenges with. Everything else works just fine

I did wonder if my router/firewall maybe somehow at fault, but the fact that I cannot ping the HS100s from inside my network is highly suspicious. They DO respond to ping for about 10 minutes after powering up, but then they seem to sulk - never responding to ping again, and intermittently appearing ON line then OFF line
Options
2017-07-13 09:32:26
what is the signal strengthen on the plug? move the plug close to router?
Options
2017-07-13 17:57:13
They are currently pretty close to the router, but eventually will have to be further away (they need to be close to the appliance I want to use them with!)

Currently they report -42dB - is this good or bad? (is a lower or a higher number better??)
Options
2017-07-13 19:01:58
Smaller is better. This is a good number.
Options
2017-08-31 21:05:07
TP-Link support no longer seem to want to talk to me - and this problem is NOT resolved

Unhappy customer now an Angry customer
Options
2017-08-31 23:26:26
And to think i Just purchased two of them as well. Why do thje companbies have such poor support. I had an ARCHER Router /Modem that neeeded support. Ticket not even replied so I sent it back for a refund. Bought a Bullion, support on there has been fantastic.
I thought I would trust a Chinese company again with going back to TPLink ..I think I fooled myself.

I am having a problem now I cannot get my mobile to talk to them via KASA?

I hope you get a reply...but!
Options
2017-09-01 09:48:44

EssexUK wrote

And to think i Just purchased two of them as well. Why do thje companbies have such poor support. I had an ARCHER Router /Modem that neeeded support. Ticket not even replied so I sent it back for a refund. Bought a Bullion, support on there has been fantastic.
I thought I would trust a Chinese company again with going back to TPLink ..I think I fooled myself.

I am having a problem now I cannot get my mobile to talk to them via KASA?

I hope you get a reply...but!

Do you get the solid green light on your smart plug? Is your mobile connected to the same home network? Or you want to control them remotely?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1926

Replies: 20

Related Articles