How to use the Detection function of the Tapo & Kasa cameras?

Released On: 2021-06-22 08:12:54Last update time: 2024-02-05 11:19:47

The Tapo & Kasa cameras have the Detection feature, and with the Detection feature enabled, the camera can detect events and record them for you to view. With the Tapo app, you can refer to the instructions below to configure the Kasa & Tapo cameras' Detection feature and learn how to watch the video recordings on the Tapo app.
How to use the Detection function of the Tapo & Kasa cameras?

After configuring the Detection feature, Notification feature, and Alarm feature, you can be notified in time when the camera detects events to avoid missing important events. To configure the Notification and Alarm feature on the Tapo app for the cameras, you can refer to the instructions below.

How to configure the Notification feature for the Tapo & Kasa devices on the Tapo app?
How to configure the Alarm feature for the Tapo Cameras on the Tapo app?

More Related Articles:

What to do if the Detection feature is not working on the TP-Link Camera?
What to do if I can't receive notifications with the Tapo Cam or have a delayed notification

Comment

Some misleading info here

1. last point about live playback, only get continuous recording as a subscriber - this is a dirty trick to force you to subscribe - work around is to set detection sensitivity to high
  2. AFAIK the motion detection acts on the vid frame as a whole.  the Area setting does NOT restrict the frame motion detection you will still get these eg cars passing in the distance which you wanted to block. Area only acts as a subset to highlight  (in blue) that a specific area has been crossed - not sure how useful this is given that motion on the whole frame is detected anyway.  MISLEADING
  3. I wish TP wouldnt stoop to these cheat charlie tricks - makes the customer feel cheated and ultimately degrades TPs good name - marketting piranhas at work - is it really worth it TP you have a great product dont spoil it

The zone settings are not working for me. It doesn't matter how I set it, if something moves both inside and outside the zone, it will record.

You can also record to a NAS (network attached hard dive). My Synology drive comes with synology surveilence station which allows 2 cameras for free (without further licences) which also gives me a great web-based (and phone based) viewing station.

Synology uses the camera settings or it's own detection and I have NO ISSUES with features missing... seems to work same with or without subscriptions. (Had these for 3 years)

So I don't subscribe and dont use sd cards either, just use the network drive attached to my home network (and wifi)

upload
    upload