What is TP-Link Local Smart Action?

Used Products:

What is TP-Link Local Smart Action?

TP-Link Tapo/Kasa Smart Action provides easy interconnection between various smart home devices through the creation of automation or shortcut rules, all of which are based on the cloud. Meanwhile, Local Smart, as the name suggests, allows automation rules to run smoothly even when the network is offline.

To utilize Local Smart, you need Tapo H100 or Kasa KH100 devices in your network. Under hub management, qualified automations can smoothly transition, and makes normal operation on the local network possible. This is a reliable feature that shortens response times, enhances the stability of smart action functions, and can handle automation rule execution perfectly even during network fluctuations or intermittent device disconnections.

What Skills Does Local Smart Support?50f37ef836494428ab6c89bbd9495091

When creating or editing automations, the hub automatically takes over execution if triggers and actions meet specific criteria.

Automations managed by the hub are marked with the Tapo or Kasa icon for easy identification.

Triggers

Motion Sensor

Motion Detected

No Motion Detected for a Set Time

Contact Sensor

Open

Close

Triggered

Kept Open for 1 Min

Kept Open for a Set Time

Water Leak Sensor

Water Leak Detected

Water Leak Solved

Temperature and Humidity Sensor

Temperature above

Temperature below

Humidity above

Humidity below

Button

Single Tap

Double Tap

Rotate Clockwise

Rotate Counterclockwise

Hub

Ring

b78f55f31b744e7db8673da47810c40d

Actions

Lighting

Turn On

Turn Off

Turn On/Off

Turn on and customize lighting

Remain on for a set time

Brightness +

Brightness -

Color Temperature +

Color Temperature -

Random Color

Plug/Switch

Turn On

Turn Off

Turn On/Off

Remain on for a set time

General Q&A

1. Does Local Smart feature imply that I can achieve full smart control within the local network?

A: Not recommended. Smart Action is a cloud-based feature, and some functionalities and information updates require internet connectivity, which cannot be entirely replaced by local smart. Local smart allows automation rules to function properly even during network fluctuations or temporary device disconnections. It serves as a powerful assistant to enhance home automation stability rather than being a feature that can operate entirely independently.  

2. Does my local smart action still work when there is a power loss?

A: Local smart action cannot be executed if the smart hub loses power.

For automation rules with effect time or Time triggers, the hub must be connected to the internet and have its time calibrated before normal execution.

Important Notices

1. Always ensure that your smart hub is running the latest firmware version.

2. If the hub loses connectivity to both the network and cloud, related automation rules cannot be edited or deleted. Local smart rules resume operation once the WiFi connection is restored, but editing is only possible after the hub reconnects to the internet.

3. The smart hub needs to communicate with the devices within the network to execute local automation rules. If your smart devices are located in different subnets of the home router, or if certain settings block communication between Tapo/Kasa devices, it could disrupt the normal operation of the local smart actions.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.

Comment

Hello 

Will this option also work with h200?

Thanks

Hello 

Will this option also work with h200?

Thanks

——————————

@FinderQ Well I haven't heard anything, but that's what we are expecting!

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.

Did some tests:

T110 (open) -> H100 (alarm) = local

T310 (temp) -> L900 (on) = local

T310 (temp) -> P100 (on) = local

T310 (temp) -> P115 (on) = local

T310 (temp) -> L535 (on) = NOT local

T310 (temp) -> L530 (on) = local 

T110 (open) -> L530 (on) = NOT local

S200 (press) -> L535 (on) = NOT local

It's really hit and miss. Any reason why?

Did some tests:

T110 (open) -> H100 (alarm) = local

T310 (temp) -> L900 (on) = local

T310 (temp) -> P100 (on) = local

T310 (temp) -> P115 (on) = local

T310 (temp) -> L535 (on) = NOT local

S200 (press) -> L535 (on) = NOT local

It's really hit and miss. Any reason why?

@aroedl 

How do you tell whether a rule is local or not local? By the marked Tapo icon?

The L535 is a new model and may not yet be compatible with this feature. 

As for these two rules, can you share your configuration here? If there are any settings in the configuration that do not meet the criteria for local smart capabilities, those specific rules will not be handled by the hub and therefore will not be marked as local smart.

Hi Wayne!

Yes, by the marked Tapo logo.

So there is a chance that the L535 will be supported as soon as it is added to the list in the H100? Is a firmware update required?

The rules are as simple as possible. When S200D pressed, L900 on. In fact I used the same rule and just replaced the devices.

I just did another test: S200D -> L530 is local, but not with the L535.

I'll just wait until all the devices are updated to support local actions.

Thank you for your assistance!

@Wayne-TP 

Another test:

S220 -> H100 -> P100 = local

S220 -> H100 -> P300 != local

So it seems that the P300 is not yet supported. Can you please make sure that all the devices are supported by Local Smart Actions?

Really happy with the matter integration now using Home Assistant using the following sensors:

• T100
  • T110
  • T300
  • T310

Super quick reaction for automations, especially motion, and finally 100% reliable. Using Google Home it was quite a disaster after the latest Nest Hub firmware 16 (used as Matter controller) update in early March 2024. Was always slow (cloud) but recently stopped working a few times a day. Using Matter in Home Assistant it is a night and day difference.

Only 2 features I would love to see:

• Battery percentage indication using Matter integration
  • Redundancy using multiple smart hubs with devices automatically connecting to another one, if one of these crashes/is turned off/etc.

Több L530 izzóm van V1 V2 Tesztjeim alapján kiderült hogy a helyi művelet csak a V2- vel működik. Várható frissítés ezzel kapcsoatban?

Több L530 izzóm van V1 V2 Tesztjeim alapján kiderült hogy a helyi művelet csak a V2- vel működik. Várható frissítés ezzel kapcsoatban?

————————————————————

@Boribali  Can you show your configuration here? Did you change or update anything while with the L530 V2 in the automation?

@Wayne-TP 

Can you please try to replicate our problems? Like my issue where Local Smart Actions work with the L530 (V3) but not with the L535e?

Should be easy for you.

We had an Internet outage a couple of days ago and I was glad that I replaced the L535s with L530s so I could switch on the lights with the smart switches.

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions