KE100 will not stop heating when it claims it does

2024-02-07 15:22:05
Model: KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.8.0

Hi,

I am trying now for several months with my KE100 and sometimes it simply runs into a weird bug, it claims to be off but the heater is fully heating and also in reporting it seems to be "on" per legend. 

In the attached graph, I unscrewed the device, ensured the heater-control goes in and out smoothly and recalibrated. Then, around 11:15, I set it to "heat to 21°". While it seemed to be able to shut it down one time, it just keeps heating up to 30° while the app told me it was "off".

I calibrated often, and tried with different if the last firmwares but run into this situation every now and then - and it is super annoying, it wastes a lot of resources until it is detected by one of us, possibly full-heating whole a whole night.

I found similar reports with very old firmwares. Do you have more debugging-options from your side? I can also share device information via mail if it helps.

Thanks, Patrick 

File:
Screenshot_20240207-161302.pngDownload
Options
8 Reply
Re:KE100 will not stop heating when it claims it does
2024-02-07 15:26:15

Here is another occurrence on 19.01., it shows different metrics and at least does not report "heating" - I guess this was with 2.7 or some earlier version as I got 2.8 today 

File:
Screenshot_20240120-101751.pngDownload
Options
2024-02-07 22:23:14

@Paddo 

Ive just experienced the same behaviour with one of my nine KE100 smart thermostats today. All running firmware 2.80. 

I had all the thermostats set to frost protect as I was out at work, and had forgotten to turn them back on before commuting home.  All were cold except this one radiator which was already reading 23c when if not in frost protect would have been 20c.

Its now reading 26.7c !!

doing a calibration cycle seems to have stopped in. 

Options
2024-02-19 10:26:34

@帕多 

- Before 11:15, KE100 is in off/frost protection mode: the grey line representing Device Off overlaps with the green dotted line representing frost protection
- After 11:15, the grey line no longer appears and the KE100 is switched on/starting to work

Do you only turn on the KE100 when needed, no schedule (Smart Control) has been set? Do you control it with the App? Or twist it manually?

Do you have any other temperature report graphs for longer periods when the unit is left on? (What happened after it almost hit 30℃? Did it drop?)

Normally the temperature will fluctuate above and below the set temperature, so you can't tell if the temperature fluctuation is normal by only switching on the device for a short period of time.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-02-19 10:35:33

@SpinDiesel 

As you can see from the picture, there was a small period of time in between when the KE100 was briefly switched on and that's why it was heating up. Have you shared your account with anyone else, or did you turn the device on by mistake?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-02-20 03:05:41 - last edited 2024-02-20 03:09:54

Hi @Wayne-TP,  thanks for your reply!

Below, I shared two such reports from the last two times I tried using it.

(For the 07.02., please ignore the values from 9:00 to 11:15 - it heats up without heating data because I completely removed the ke100 from the radiator and screwed it back on/re-calibrated as I thought there might be a physical problem)

I do not use smart control but manually configure it to e.g. 20° or 21°. I think I've seen the behaviour with both, manually twisting and via app (and I always confirmed both show the same setting). It seems to be able to turn the radiator off when it first exceeds the threshold but when turning back on again, it fails to turn the radiator off. Or it thinks it turns it off (AFAIR, the app told me it is "off", but temperature was still rising like crazy) and in this state it would just rise indefinitely.

At this stage we are ~30° and I am in a sauna. I usually then turn it off by turning it to max value, wait for it to "re"-open and then turn it to off/Fr until I do not hear water floating. Or try to "calibrate" which sometimes helped. Being at 30° when configuring 20° feels a bit too much compared to fluctuating around the configured value.

I got a feeling the system would not stop heating without my manual intervention, but it is very difficult to try it and is burning quite some resources. Maybe you have more hints with the additional data?

Options
2024-02-21 02:52:17

@Paddo 

Thank you for sharing the additional info. The tech team was made aware of this situation, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue. Please check your email box later and confirm.

Options
2024-04-25 16:38:44

@Wayne-TP  I too have the same issue tried all methods to stop the heating but the radiator is boiling hot to touch. I am on the latest firmware. Pls help

Options
2024-04-26 08:20:05

@Pascoal 

Does the temperature drop when you turn off the thermostat in the app or put it into Sleep mode (fully closed)? Is the temperature the same as that of the boiler?

Suppose the temperature does not drop and remains consistent with the boiler temperature. In that case, it's likely that the thermostat is not installed correctly, and therefore, it's not adjusting the temperature (hot water flow) at all. 

You may refer to the below guide to double confirm it, or re-install the thermostat. 

Options