How to access Tapo C211 camera outside my home network

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo C211  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11 Build 240427 Re.61418n(4555)

Hi

I have installed my new C211 camera on my home network and all works well including viewing camera on my mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad, Android phone while at home but once I leave my home WiFi I can no longer access the camera.

I have searched this forum and elsewhere and came across posts advising to setup camera account via advanced settings which I have done and suggesting I need to open port 554 on my router, change DNS to Google's 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 which I have also done.

I can view the camera using VLC via rtsp protocol but again only while connected to my home WiFi.

I also read some posts from staff here saying it's not necessary to open ports so long as the camera account is correctly bound to the camera and advising to reset camera to factory settings and reinstall and again link camera account so I have also done that but still can't access the Tapo C211 camera outside my home network.

I have disabled firewall on my router, restarted the router and as mentioned above changed the DNS however I am still unable to view my camera outside my home network and see error message This smart device can only be controlled locally.

Is it possible to view a Tapo C211 from a remote network?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to access Tapo C211 camera outside my home network-Solution

I’ve setup another mobile router and and I am able to connect to the C211 on the other network so there is no problem with my main router or the Tapo camera account.

Then when I use an Android mobile phone to access the camera via the Tapo app using mobile data again all works as expected and I am able to view the camera output.

However whenever I try connecting using mobile data on my iPhone, which is what I was trying to do originally, I am unable to view the output and instead get the error message ‘This smart device can only be controlled locally’.

So it’s the iPhone that’s the issue.

Correction: It's ME that's the issue. I hadn't given permission for the Tapo app to use mobile data. Doh! 🤦

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to access Tapo C211 camera outside my home network
a week ago

@jTemplar 

Hi, 
Typically, if you want to manage the Tapo camera remotely with the Tapo app, there is no need to open a port on your router for the camera. If your camera has an internet connection and connects to our cloud server, you can control it remotely.

For the reported issue, you can refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot.
What to do if I can't control my Tapo cameras on the Tapo app?

If the problem remains, please confirm:
1. Send me(@Solla-topee) the camera's MAC address via a private message.

2. Confirm your router is working fine. 

3. Check the LED status on the camera.

You can try to factory reset the camera, enable a hotspot Wi-Fi on your phone, reconfigure the camera on another phone, and connect it to the hotspot Wi-Fi, then check if you can control the camera remotely.

Best Regards

Options
Re:How to access Tapo C211 camera outside my home network-Solution

I’ve setup another mobile router and and I am able to connect to the C211 on the other network so there is no problem with my main router or the Tapo camera account.

Then when I use an Android mobile phone to access the camera via the Tapo app using mobile data again all works as expected and I am able to view the camera output.

However whenever I try connecting using mobile data on my iPhone, which is what I was trying to do originally, I am unable to view the output and instead get the error message ‘This smart device can only be controlled locally’.

So it’s the iPhone that’s the issue.

Correction: It's ME that's the issue. I hadn't given permission for the Tapo app to use mobile data. Doh! 🤦

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to access Tapo C211 camera outside my home network
a week ago

@jTemplar  Hi, glad to hear the case is solved, and thank you for sharing your experience.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 138

Replies: 3

Related Articles