Tapo C310 seems to disable motion detection without internet access

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11 Build 231116 Rel.69367n(4555)

Hello,

I bought a 2-pack of Tapo C310 the other day. I want to use them locally without streaming video to the cloud so I've blocked internet access to these two cameras.

However, as soon as I disable internet access, they stop triggering motion detection. As soon as I re-enable internet access, they start triggering motion detection again. I can always watch the live stream locally, but motion detection fully stops working as soon as I block the cameras from the internet. It's the same regardless if I use WiFi or ethernet. I've resetted both cameras numerous times.

Note that I'm not speaking about push notifications, since cloud is needed.

I've tried connecting them to Scrypted via Home Assistant so I can see that the motion detector simply stops triggering when the camera is blocked from the internet.

Also note that I have a Tapo C100 configured the exact same way and that one works perfectly when I block internet access. It still triggers motion etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C310 seems to disable motion detection without internet access
a week ago

@nu1mlock 

Hi,
Generally, the camera's detection feature will work even without an internet connection. Please enable the Alarm feature on the camera's Device Settings>Alarm page, and then check if the camera will alarm when detecting events without an internet connection.
Can you watch the camera's live feed on Scrypted when the camera has no internet connection?
Best Regards

Options
a week ago

@Solla-topee 

Hi and thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, the alarm feature also stops working when I block internet access to the C310.

I did a factory reset of the camera, set it up correctly and motion detection, human detection and alarm works. But as soon as I block internet access, the same features stop working. This is even before I've set a local account for local streaming.

The same issue persists when local streaming has been enabled. I can view the local livestream in the Tapo app and also in Scrypted. I'm using Scrypted to forward the stream to HomeKit and I can watch the livestream from Apple Home as well.

However, since motion detection is disabled fully on the camera when it is blocked from the internet, nothing will be recorded in the Tapo app, nothing in Scrypted and nothing in Apple Home since they all require working motion detection to start recording.

I've also tried putting in a MicroSD-card but that didn't help - and since motion detection isn't working, nothing was recorded onto the memory card either.

Options
a week ago

@nu1mlock 

Hi,
Please confirm the following information for further analysis.

1. 1) Insert an SD card into the camera, refer to the instructions below to enable the Diagnostics option on the camera's Device Settings page.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera
2) On the camera's Device Settings>Storage & Recording>Recording Schedule page, please tap Edit at the top right corner>select continuous recordings for all time, save the changes, and then check if there are video recordings stored on the SD card when the camera has no internet.

2. If there are videos stored on the SD card after enabling the continuous recording, when the camera has internet, please move in front of the camera to trigger the motion detection feature to work. Then disable the internet to the camera, record the date & time, and move in front of the camera again to reproduce the issue. 

3. 1) Download the video recordings from the SD card and send it to us. You can upload the video to your cloud server(such as Google Drive), generate a link to download it, and then send me the link via a private message.
2) Send us the recorded date & time and the camera log for further analysis.

Best Regards

Options