C1200 Parental controls won't turn on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-08 01:47:09
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I rely on the use of the parental controls feature with my kids, so I can really use some help on this. I have it setup for whitelist only, and have the allowed domains listed as required. Here is the thing, every once in a while after I turn the parental controls off using either tether or the device webpage it will not re-enable after I turn it back on. The switch on the app shows it is on, but it does not limit the internet traffic to the whitelisted sights. Usually, after some indeterminant period of time (hours to days) it will suddenly turn back on again. I have tried soft reboot, and hard powering off to see if it will help, and it doesn't. Anyone else had this issue? And any ideas on how to fix?
Options
10 Reply
Re:C1200 Parental controls won't turn on
2017-09-11 17:36:48
What's the hardware and firmware version of your router? Even if you turn it off and re-enable it on the device webpage, it displays as enabled but it won't take effect immediately?
Options
2017-09-11 18:27:31
I also use the parental control function. But so far there have been no problems with the use of.
Options
HW and FW version
2017-09-13 12:08:00

Kevin SG wrote

What's the hardware and firmware version of your router? Even if you turn it off and re-enable it on the device webpage, it displays as enabled but it won't take effect immediately?

The hardware is V2.0. The firmware version is 2.0.0 Build 20161130 rel.64463 (US).

And yes, even if I turn off and re-enable on the device webpage, it shows enabled but there is no effect on the devices that should be controlled.
Options
2017-09-15 17:47:10
Make sure the system time is set up correctly. And after your re-enable the parental control, reboot the router. There may be some delay, but shouldn't be hours or days. If the problem persists, contact tplink support to get some advice.
Options
Important for the Parental controls to work
2017-09-30 16:38:46
I have had the same problem, and been working on it for several days

No one seems to know the actual answer. I found the solution, just as I was about to return the router back to the shop..

It's quite simple, in such a way that you have probably not thought about it yet..

My standard setup was, connecting the lan from my modem to the C1200 lan port, as I wished to have the same DHCP throughout my home.
Apparently once the ip-addresses are not created by the C1200 it only allows you to fully block access via the security options

Once I changed the connection from the Lan port to the WAN port All IP adresses were provided through the C1200.
From that moment on I was able block sites based on a keyword (check searches in google) "fight" was blocked "love" wasn't (exactly as I set it up)

Only issue I have now is that I have to make additional portforwards to my other devices and make sure the are still seen by the devices that connect to the C1200
I hope this helps

Good luck!!, any questions leave me a mail
Options
2017-10-02 04:38:27

Martijnnl wrote

I have had the same problem, and been working on it for several days

No one seems to know the actual answer. I found the solution, just as I was about to return the router back to the shop..

It's quite simple, in such a way that you have probably not thought about it yet..

My standard setup was, connecting the lan from my modem to the C1200 lan port, as I wished to have the same DHCP throughout my home.
Apparently once the ip-addresses are not created by the C1200 it only allows you to fully block access via the security options

Once I changed the connection from the Lan port to the WAN port All IP adresses were provided through the C1200.
From that moment on I was able block sites based on a keyword (check searches in google) "fight" was blocked "love" wasn't (exactly as I set it up)

Only issue I have now is that I have to make additional portforwards to my other devices and make sure the are still seen by the devices that connect to the C1200
I hope this helps

Good luck!!, any questions leave me a mail

This is very helpful. Thank you! But I do not understand what you mean by connecting to WAN port. Would you kindly give me more specifics on how to do that?
Options
Answer to the question were and how
2017-10-03 19:33:24
You have 5 ports on the back of the 1200 router
4 close to each other and 1 that is surrounded by the colour yellow.
The yellow port is the WAN port.

It is used to directly gain access to the internet, which allows your C1200 act as a host, DHCP server if you may. (you'll have to turn the DHCP server setting on (on your C1200)
From that point forward any device that runs through your C1200, is hosted by it.. (
you can check by looking at the ip adresses on your devices..

One disadvantage of the setting is that if you add any device directly to the modem (that connects you to the internet) the devices will not see the devices on the C1200. unless you disable the DHCP server on your modem. (Before you do that, make sure that the C1200 has a Static IP address from your modem, otherwise you'll have to reset everything again)

only then will the C1200 be able to enable the parental settings.. Though note , in my opinion there is still an issue with the internet timing,
the timing only turns the parental controls on, not the internet access.

Thus if you put the timing on 07:00 -17:00 the parental controls will only operate during that time, at the other time slots, internet will be wide open. (at least that is my experience.., )
I have my settings on 24h.. it's blocking anything I put in..

Hope it helps..

a request to TP-Link, please write your manuals in such a manner that is clear what your routers can and cannot do..
Options
2017-10-05 16:57:55
Great! Thanks you!
Options
Find this solution
2017-12-28 12:52:43
First get proper guideline about this and then try it. There is required test settings by actually using device as well browse the Internet in the australianreviewer.com. The values set in the allowed domain field should be given access to.
Options
2017-12-28 12:55:38
Will try to this.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 756

Replies: 10