Archer 8 USB support for an optical drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-28 00:57:42
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I attached a DVD drive to the USB port on my Archer 8 and scanned for new devices -- it wasn't found. I was hoping to use a network-attached DVD drive to support the variety of laptops I have that no longer have build-in DVDs. Will the Archer 8 support a DVD drive?
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer 8 USB support for an optical drive
2017-09-28 16:51:51
What is the DVD drive? Not sure if that is the same thing in my mind. I can use USB flash drive, Hard drive with that port for USB sharing, but not sure if your DVD driver can be used in that way.
Could you please share a link or picture of it?
BTW, it works when you connect to the PC directly, right?
Options
2017-09-30 00:16:44
Kevin

It's just a standard external DVD drive. I tried both an ASUS and an LG. They work fine when attached directly to my laptop but I have multiple laptops without DVD drives built in. This morning I swapped out the USB cable to see if that could be the issue -- apparently that indeed was part of the problem. At least now the device is seen by the router so that's a good start. However, Win 10 still won't access the device -- possible firewall issue? Any ideas on what port might need to be opened or what kind of setting might need to be changed?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 475

Replies: 2