AC1200 will not connect with SB6141

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-21 04:20:07
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hardware is v2.0. That wasn't an option on the drop-down.

ARRIS/Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Upstream Channel ID: 3
DOCIS MIMO Honor MDD IP Mode
Modem’s IP Mode IPv6 Only
DHCP Server Enabled
Downstream Power Level 5-6dBmV
Downstream Modulation QAM256
SNR 38-39 dB
Upstream Power Level 42-44 dBmV

The modem will always connect to:
Dell laptop
[*]Dell desktop
[*]Netgear WPN824NA router
[*]TL-WR841N router
It will not connect to an Archer C9 (already returned) or an Archer 1200 (soon to be returned).

When I was trying to get the C9 working, I exchanged probably a dozen emails with tp-link support where I included screen shots of everything, both the modem pages and the router pages. Those were ignored in response emails and the four phone conversations we had. We had to start from scratch with each email and phone call which was more than annoying. The answer was always one or more of:
your router isn't working (it works with everything else I plug into it, and it's values seem well within DOCSIS 3.0 range)
[*]you need to clone your MAC address (not necessary with anything else, but I tried every working MAC address with both the C9 and the AC1200 in addition to factory default for each)
[*]you need to have Comcast reset your modem (done, nothing changed)
[*]you need to follow this exact power up sequence which changed from email to email (none of those made any difference, but I can talk to anything else I plug into the modem with a standard power up sequence)
[*]you need a new cable (I've used the old cable which works with the other routers plus the cables that came with the C9 and the AC1200)
So I haven't bothered with tp-link support after they were absolutely no help with the C9, instead spending my time reading EVERYTHING ever posted on the internet about connection issues. No solutions jumped out.

It is interesting to note that the AC1200 correctly detects Dynamic IP, but doesn't get one. The C9 always "detected" Static IP.

Now to be fair, the C9 and the AC1200 are the only high speed things I've tried to connect to the modem. But the modem recognizes this, and flashes the appropriate color for whatever I plug into it. And I pointed this out to tp-link support, but they didn't seem to care.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides what I've already tried? If not, the AC1200 will be going back soon and I'll be writing only my second review on Amazon after shopping there for more than 14 years. (You can read my first review under Archer C9.)

Thanks.

I've uploaded the system logs from both the AC1200 and the WR841N. It's an apple and orange kind of thing since the AC1200 was trying to go through quick setup and the WR841N was already set up. (Yes, I have tried manual setup with no success, but again, I'm open to suggestions.)
File:
AC1200.txtDownload
WR841N.txtDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:AC1200 will not connect with SB6141
2017-10-23 15:21:06
On the WAN connection type, you can try to set static IP put the same WAN IP address that when PC connect to the modem
then ping the cable modem see whether can ping it and check the internet access when in static IP
BTW,Whats the ticket ID when you contact with tp-link support via email?
Options
2017-10-24 02:50:48
As I said above, I haven't tried email/phone support with the AC1200 since I got nowhere with support when I tried the C9. For some reason, two tickets were open for the C9: 170824-120225 and 170823-119582.

I know I don't have static IP. My old netgear and tp-link routers detect it's a dynamic IP and connect correctly. My desktop and laptop somehow connect. The C9 never detected dynamic IP and didn't work when I set it to static and put in an IP. The AC1200 correctly detects dynamic IP but doesn't get an IP address. No errors show up in the modem log, and nothing of interest appears in the new router log (as far as I can tell).

Thanks for the answer, but setting it to static IP sounds like a kludge if it even works. I want a router that correctly recognizes what the modem is offering. I'm just going to send it back to Amazon and live with my old routers for a while. I've already wasted far too much time trying to get the C9 and AC1200 working.
Options
2017-10-24 02:59:06
Just to be clear, I won't guarantee that it is a router issue. The modem works with everything else I plug into it, it has values that seem to be well with range, and it isn't putting any error issues into its log when I try to use one of the newer tp-link routers. I'm looking for a router that can plug into my modem and just work without having to play tricks. I realize that the C9 and AC1200 work for most people, but they don't work for me and my modem. Fortunately the WR841N is still working and only needs to be reset once every week or so. As time permits, I'll look for other options.

Options
2017-10-24 09:23:27

charlcas wrote

Just to be clear, I won't guarantee that it is a router issue. The modem works with everything else I plug into it, it has values that seem to be well with range, and it isn't putting any error issues into its log when I try to use one of the newer tp-link routers. I'm looking for a router that can plug into my modem and just work without having to play tricks. I realize that the C9 and AC1200 work for most people, but they don't work for me and my modem. Fortunately the WR841N is still working and only needs to be reset once every week or so. As time permits, I'll look for other options.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and many thanks for your feedback
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1533

Replies: 4

Related Articles