Deco M5 vs 3 routers with same SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-02 05:56:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am hoping someone with a good knowledge of how the Deco(s) work can chime in here. Due to many of the drawbacks of the Deco (lack of advanced configurability as well as control of DHCP, no dedicated wireless backhaul channel, etc.), I was curious what the difference was between running 2 Deco units vs having 3 wireless routers running the same SSID. I have tried the latter example before and it seemed that many devices would hold onto the weaker router signal as I move about my home instead of switch to the closer, stronger router signal. This doesn't appear to happen with the Deco. What I can't quite wrap my head around is how this works since I would think this would be specific to the device and not be able to be influenced by the Deco.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 vs 3 routers with same SSID
2017-11-02 10:38:45
Deco uses ART (Adaptive Routing Technology) and support 802.11k&v standards,which connects devices to the best band and the unit with strongest signal, realizing wireless roaming.
Normal routers doesn't support ART and 802.11lk&v.
You can find some clue on TP-link website.
Options
2017-11-06 23:50:30

Anton L.Z. wrote

Deco uses ART (Adaptive Routing Technology) and support 802.11k&v standards,which connects devices to the best band and the unit with strongest signal, realizing wireless roaming.
Normal routers doesn't support ART and 802.11lk&v.
You can find some clue on TP-link website.

Is this something that is all handled via the Deco unit(s) or do you need client devices that support it?
Options
2017-11-07 05:05:20
From a user point of view...

With 3 routers having the same SSID, you have 3 WIFI networks with the same SSID. You need to manually switch between the different AP.
With 3 DECO's you also have 3 WIFI networks with the same SSID but now these DECO's talk with each other. And they will switch you automatically between the different AP.

So no special software to install or whatever it's all handled by the DECO units itself. You install the 3 DECO's within minutes and you can walk around always having the best WIFI signal.
I have never notices any disruption while it automatically switched from one to the other DECO and/or automatically switched between 2.4 and 5 GHz.
Options
2017-11-07 10:24:55
802.11lk&v needs clients to support, but normally most recent devices already support this protocol.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 938

Replies: 4