Does the Deco M5 supprt MoCA 2.0?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-11 19:40:35
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Does the Deco M5 support MoCA 2.0? I would like to use MoCA for backhauling, but cannot find any documentation which says that the Deco supports MoCA.

Is there anyone using MoCA for backhauling?

Thanks!
Options
6 Reply
Re:Does the Deco M5 supprt MoCA 2.0?
2017-11-13 01:54:40
Yes you can use it. The tp-link doesn't show support for Moca because it doesn't have a coax input. However you would use the Ethernet port from your Moca adapter which would act as any other Ethernet would. As a result support for Moca is a non-issue as you won;t be using Moca to actually connect the Deco's you'll be using the Ethernet from the Moca adapter.
Options
2017-11-13 04:57:46

jimpc wrote

Yes you can use it. The tp-link doesn't show support for Moca because it doesn't have a coax input. However you would use the Ethernet port from your Moca adapter which would act as any other Ethernet would. As a result support for Moca is a non-issue as you won;t be using Moca to actually connect the Deco's you'll be using the Ethernet from the Moca adapter.

Thank you so much for your reply! That is great, since we have unused coax lines and hookups for cable TV in our house. Because Actiontec was saying in the product description for one of its MoCA adapters to make sure that the router is compatible with MoCa, I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again!
Options
2017-11-14 00:46:56

jacksan1 wrote

Thank you so much for your reply! That is great, since we have unused coax lines and hookups for cable TV in our house. Because Actiontec was saying in the product description for one of its MoCA adapters to make sure that the router is compatible with MoCa, I wanted to make sure. Thanks again!
Keep in mind you'll need at least 2 moca adapters.
Options
2017-11-14 02:09:40

jimpc wrote

Keep in mind you'll need at least 2 moca adapters.

Yes, one adapter for the router unit of the Deco, and another for one of the satellite units to be hackhauled. The other two units (we have four Deco units total) will be kept on wifi only as there are no coax outlets available to them..
Options
2017-11-14 03:30:50

jacksan1 wrote

Yes, one adapter for the router unit of the Deco, and another for one of the satellite units to be hackhauled. The other two units (we have four Deco units total) will be kept on wifi only as there are no coax outlets available to them..

Yep That's my setup. I have my main deco connected to a switch. That switch connects to another deco via ethernet and also supplies a moca adapter that connects to another adapter that connects to another deco. Keep in mind if you want some future proofing get gigabit switches and bonded moca 2.0 adapters.

Tax in ny and nj only.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1179502-REG/actiontec_ecb6200k02_bonded_moca_2_0_network.html
Options
2017-11-14 03:51:33

jimpc wrote

Yep That's my setup. I have my main deco connected to a switch. That switch connects to another deco via ethernet and also supplies a moca adapter that connects to another adapter that connects to another deco. Keep in mind if you want some future proofing get gigabit switches and bonded moca 2.0 adapters.

Tax in ny and nj only.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1179502-REG/actiontec_ecb6200k02_bonded_moca_2_0_network.html

Great advice! Thank you so much.

By the way, we do not have any cable or satellite TV service, nor do we plan to get any OTT (we have cut cords). The coax lines are and will be used only for internet. If so, does it matter as to whether the MoCa adapter is bonded? For instance, could I get away with one like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7NUXO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I27SH96ZHGPJ40&colid=1TH35RHX9BUBA With the bonded MoCA 2.0 standard being newer, I am sure it could not hurt, but I am wondering what kind of advantages it has over non-bonded when there is no usage of the line other than by the internet signals.

Then again, maybe I should not get cheap about the MoCA adapters and just go with the latest standard.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5814

Replies: 6