Internet speed over wifi is SLOWER when laptop is next to the router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-14 13:04:39
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, maybe someone can educate me about this. I switched ISPs and have a 400mb/s plan. I have TP LINK AC1900 Archer C9 router and TP LINK 7650 modem. The technician who set it up then connected to my wifi and did a speedtest (Xfinity speed test) and indeed got a result of DL speed of 387mb/s over wifi. I then tested with my HP Spectre 15 i7 (brand new with latest drivers and updates of everything) and I got 1.5mb/s !!
After a LOT of troubleshooting efforts, I just moved to the next room for no particular reason, just to be comfortable and change from sitting position. Then I ran the speed test again and I got ~100mb/s. Turns out that if the laptop is right next to the router, the speed is horribly slow.
I tested the same with my mobile phone and the same principle holds - if the phone is next to the router, the speed doesn't go past 1.5mb/s.
I thought it was the other way around - the farther you get from the router, the weaker the signal and you get slower speed.

Anyone has an idea what's going on?

I'm thinking the router signal interfering with the antennas of other devices if they are too close, but that just seems weird.

Other than that, I wonder how I can actually get the 400mb/s speed that I signed for on my laptop (as it's getting 100-120 at most.

Thanks
Options
2 Reply
Re:Internet speed over wifi is SLOWER when laptop is next to the router?
2017-12-14 17:01:34
You need check your wireless network connection speed.
If you wanna 400Mbps wireless speed, need the wireless network connection speed about 1Gbps
Options
Re:Internet speed over wifi is SLOWER when laptop is next to the router?
2017-12-15 03:59:25
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "wireless connection speed" needs to be about 1Gbps?
My laptop wireless card spec indicate that it's capable for up to 867MB ( https://ark.intel.com/products/94150/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265 )
So the wireless card on the laptop is capable.
The router specs definitly say it can get that speed.
And also, the comcast technician did get that speed on his iPhone when connected to my wifi and performing the xfinity speed test. ( http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ )

Can you please explain what do you mean by " check your wireless network connection speed." ?

Thanks
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1033

Replies: 2

Related Articles