Archer C3150 V2 - SECURITY FLAW - login password limit of 15 characters,

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-21 04:06:02
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just updated my router from a TL-WDR4300 to the Archer C3150 V2. The first thing I needed to do was change the password and I used a variation of my old password from the TL-WDR4300. To my amazament (horror!) I was greeted by an error message indicating the password was LIMITED TO 15 LETTERS AND NUMBERS! Are you serious? The message even specifies letter and numbers but excludes to mention special characters! I did confirm passwords with special characters is OK - so the error message is actually encouraging users to choose weak passwords. YIKES!

Yes I also did update to the latest firmware (Archer C3150(EU)_V2_170927) in the hopes that this was fixed. Unfortunately this limit is still in place and the message is still wrongly specifying only numbers and letters. This is a huge step backward! Security is more important than ever and limiting password length to 15 characters is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Please fix this security flaw in the next firmware update!

Thanks,

EJ

PS: Its also pretty rediculous that my TL-WDR4300 had bandwith control for guest network but this is absent in the Archer C3150 V2. Please add bandwith control for guest network.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C3150 V2 - SECURITY FLAW - login password limit of 15 characters,
2017-12-22 16:56:31
You would better contact tplink technical support for your request and tell they your advice.
Options
Please tell TP-Link not to limit passwords/security
2017-12-25 06:45:45

Vivien27 wrote

You would better contact tplink technical support for your request and tell they your advice.

Thanks and yes I definitely did contact tech support! Honestly I'm surprised this issue doesn't seem to bother anyone else. Maybe if others also chime in with tp-link they might do away with this dangerous practice of putting limits on passwords and weakening security. By looking at multiple tp-link emulators it looks like this is an issue on many devices.

Please tell TP-Link not to limit passwords/security.
Options
Re:Archer C3150 V2 - SECURITY FLAW - login password limit of 15 characters,
2017-12-25 09:11:50
My archer C1200 also limited password length to 15 characters, but I think its enough
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 848

Replies: 3