AP mode + Ethernet backhaul via ISP combo modem/router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-02 19:34:32
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

Now when Deco supports AP mode and Ethernet Backhaul, will the following topology work fine?

Here all the Deco are supposed to be in AP mode, just giving WiFi. All the other networking features are on the ISP box (DHCP, NAT etc.).
All the Deco are connected to this ISP box via Ethernet cables, they are supposed to form Ethernet backhaul.
The Deco units are located on different floors of the house, so they cannot reach each other via WiFi. But the ISP box bridges between them (wired).

It looks similar to the officially proposed "star topology", but instead of using a separate switch, it uses the same ISP device which also acts as a modem.

Is this a supported topology? Does it work for anyone?
Options
5 Reply
Re:AP mode + Ethernet backhaul via ISP combo modem/router
2018-01-13 23:49:43
Any response...?

Strange that I cannot get an official answer from TP Link on this. Would expect them to tell me what their solution supports and what it doesn't, before I buy it...
Options
2018-01-15 09:11:16
The FAQ states this: "The main Deco (first one connect to the network) will work in Router mode by default after setup,the you can switch the working mode into AP mode as need. The other two Deco units will extend the Deco network from the main unit, via both wireless or wired connection (Ethernet Backhaul)."

I take this to mean that your configuration will not work, as the two units must extend the network THROUGH the main unit. Your scenario would be using three Deco units as individual gateways, probably result in three separate networks with the same name and info. (See http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?100083-Deco-M5-creating-seperate-networks-instead-of-one-network-for-all-nodes&highlight=deco+ap+mode).

Hope that helps.
Options
2018-01-29 15:30:17
Hi,

In case it helps future readers... I decided to try out this topology, and so far, looks like it works fine. I use AP mode, two Decos are connected via Ethernet to the ISP combo router, as described in the first post.
In the app, both are shown Online, there is one network, and one Deco is still marked as "Gateway" (the first one).

Although the app currently doesn't let me see whether Ethernet Backhaul is really in use or not, I am pretty sure it is. Because I can get my max. speed (200Mbps) on my 1st floor. And if I disconnect the Ethernet cable (going to the ISP combo router), either the speed drops dramatically (to some 10-20Mbps) or even Deco goes completely Offline. Because I have nearly no WiFi coverage between floors, so the Decos really can't communicate over WiFi. It's either Ethernet or nothing. Hopefully, in the future the app will give me more info "under the hood", so that I can really trace how the packets flow. But so far - looks like it really works as I expect it to.

I'll add the 3rd Deco in a month or so (need to arrange Ethernet cabling first), I'll update here if it works fine.
Options
2018-01-30 10:40:02

dmitryperets wrote

Hi,

In case it helps future readers... I decided to try out this topology, and so far, looks like it works fine.

Glad it works! Seems I was wrong about needing to have everything behind the gateway Deco even in AP mode.
Options
2018-04-12 19:10:31

dmitryperets wrote

Hi,

In case it helps future readers... I decided to try out this topology, and so far, looks like it works fine. I use AP mode, two Decos are connected via Ethernet to the ISP combo router, as described in the first post.
In the app, both are shown Online, there is one network, and one Deco is still marked as "Gateway" (the first one).

Although the app currently doesn't let me see whether Ethernet Backhaul is really in use or not, I am pretty sure it is. Because I can get my max. speed (200Mbps) on my 1st floor. And if I disconnect the Ethernet cable (going to the ISP combo router), either the speed drops dramatically (to some 10-20Mbps) or even Deco goes completely Offline. Because I have nearly no WiFi coverage between floors, so the Decos really can't communicate over WiFi. It's either Ethernet or nothing. Hopefully, in the future the app will give me more info "under the hood", so that I can really trace how the packets flow. But so far - looks like it really works as I expect it to.

I'll add the 3rd Deco in a month or so (need to arrange Ethernet cabling first), I'll update here if it works fine.

Hi, one question, the antivirus, Parental Control and other features work fine?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2087

Replies: 5

Related Articles