Deco M5 and 2.4 GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 and 2.4 GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
23 Reply
Re:Deco M5 and 2.4 GHz
2018-06-05 03:14:48
I believe that this problem mainly arises with 2.4 band-only wifi devices that use a smart phone app for set up. These devices try to connect to the same wifi network the smart phone running the app is connected to, so if the smart phone is using the Deco's 5.8 band, the device will conclude that the network with that name is not a 2.4 network. If you have that situation (are using a smart phone app to set up your device) and your phone has a setting that allows you to turn off the phone's 5.8 band so it can only connect to the Deco's 2.4 band, try doing that and then run the device's set up app on the phone.
Options
Deco M5 and 2.4 GHz
2018-06-07 08:46:12

Kiwiken wrote

I have the same problem with a Ring system, just purchased and a Sensibo (to convert my Heatpump to a smart device).
This is so frustrating the amount of time I've lost trying to set these devices up and looking for how to configure the Deco M5 kit so I can find the 2.4GHz band

Sorted by moving the Deco network into Access Point mode, from Router mode.
However, I'm not keen on losing the Parental COntrols so now things are connected will try to switch back to Router mode and see what happens .... (fingers crossed!)
Options
Android no longer allows me to turn off 5GHz band so I can't connect 2.4GHz only devices
2018-06-08 05:28:52
I think Mattfam is right - or at least it makes sense:

Mattfam wrote

I believe that this problem mainly arises with 2.4 band-only wifi devices that use a smart phone app for set up. These devices try to connect to the same wifi network the smart phone running the app is connected to, so if the smart phone is using the Deco's 5.8 band, the device will conclude that the network with that name is not a 2.4 network. If you have that situation (are using a smart phone app to set up your device) and your phone has a setting that allows you to turn off the phone's 5.8 band so it can only connect to the Deco's 2.4 band, try doing that and then run the device's set up app on the phone.

HOWEVER, you can't (on Android 7) tell your phone to connect to 2.4GHz only. Hence my app setting up my 2.4GHz only device does not allow it to work. The app says "Hey! You're on a 5GHz network. That's not allowed!", instead of asking itself "OK, I am connected on a 5GHz network right now - I wonder if there is also a 2.4GHz network with the same SSID and password?", so it does not work.

I may next try setting up a 2.4GHz only access point with the same SSID and password as my DLink, turning off my DLink Deco, connecting and setting up my 2.4GHz devivce on the other network, then switching back to the DLink Deco. Will keep you all updated. Probably do that Monday.
Options
2018-08-20 21:52:09
I have 4 sonoff light switches that will not allow me to connect to my Archer 2800 wifi router at all, I have split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks to have different SSID and still not working. The manuals talk about 'mac open' needing to be configured on the router but I am unsure what that maybe.. I am NOT using MAC filtering.

Help !!

autefrum wrote

I have several Sonoff WiFi switches that operate only on 2.4GHz. The only way to configure these devices to connect to WiFi is using a android or iOS app. When I try to enter the SSID of my Deco in the app, it determines the WiFi SSID is for a 5GHz signal, so will not allow me to continue - if the app determined there was both a 2.4 and a 5GHz network it would be OK, but it does not do that.

I turned off my Deco and set up a different WiFi Access point as a 2.4GHz network only,and gave it the same SSID and password as the Deco. I could them configure the Sonoff WiFi switches to connect to this 2/4GHz network. When I turn off this WiFi access point and power on my Deco, the switches do not connect to the 2.4GHz Deco network.

I would like the ability to enable only the 2.4GHz network on the Deco temporarily.
Options
Tasmota firmware on Sonoff Basic allows connection to D-Link Deco
2018-08-21 02:37:33
I ended up installing Tasmota firmware. This needs a soldering iron and a USB to serial device for the ESP8266, so it's not a solution for everyone, but check out: https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/
Options
2020-04-01 11:04:30
Hey friends. I was having this same issue. While TP link says they will be pushing updates that will allow you to toggle on/off 2.4 and 5, however, I am posting over 2 years and still no update. Temporary fix would be turn on guest network and name it the same as regular while keeping the password the same also. If you turn off guest network the device will disconnect again. TP Link - worthless!!
Options
2020-05-07 00:12:52
Options
2020-05-15 21:04:51

@jlm0516 

I have the same issue in one of my DECOs M5 V3, unfortunately I think this problem is a hardware problem.
TP LINK, what have we do?

jlm0516 wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a smart device that requires 2.4 GHz but looking in my Deco settings I can't find anything that would allow me to turn that on. Is there a way to turn it on or is it on by default? If on by default how can I tell which is the 2.4 GHz network? Thank you.

~jlm

Options
2020-05-15 21:05:17 - last edited 2020-05-15 21:17:25

I have the same issue in one of my DECOs M5 V3, unfortunately I think this problem is a hardware problem. TP LINK, what have we do?

Options
2020-05-15 23:23:52
Did you turn off 5Ghz in the app? I pasted the screen shot in my post right above this.
Options