Since I can't turn off a band... I can't control my Google Home.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-28 04:47:04
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My google home seems to want to connect at 2.4mhz.. and my Ipad and phone goes to 5mhz. Since I can't turn off either band, when I access Google Home app, it won't see my google devices. So I can't control them.

So when is the option to turn off bands coming?
Options
3 Reply
Re:Since I can't turn off a band... I can't control my Google Home.
2018-01-29 16:37:04
It doesn't matter what frequency devices connect at, they all join the same network and can talk to each other. If you can't see your Google home devices then there's another issue.
Options
2018-01-30 00:14:22
Actually it does matter.

When you set up the Google Home, it remember the frequency (2.4 or 5) and ALWAYS connects at that freq. If your phone/ipad, that you want to control the HOME devices, is connected at 5mhz, and your GOOGLE HOME was set up at 2.4mhz.. the app wont see the devices. This was confirmed to me by Google. There is no way to force your phone, or the HOME to connect to a specific freq.

And since there is no way to seperate the bands into 2 distinct SSIDs, OR unable to turn off a band.. you are stuck.
Options
2020-04-18 16:11:01 - last edited 2020-04-18 16:16:49

@Brianhagen This also affects Alexa users. 

The accesories that you connect to Alexa require a 2.4GHZ network and requires that the phone/tablet also be connected to the 2.4GHZ network.  Since all modern phones/tablets will prefer a 5GHZ network given the choice, you can not set the accessories up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 759

Replies: 3