Time to bail on TP-Link?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Time to bail on TP-Link?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Time to bail on TP-Link?
Time to bail on TP-Link?
2018-05-26 04:29:28
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an Archer C8, V1 and it's a nice router and does everything I need it to do. The problem (as so many have pointed out) is that support is sorely lacking. The firmware is 2 years old and when I emailed about an upgrade the reply was, in effect, we're working on it but don't know when it will be ready. IOW, don't hold your breath. I did a search on best AC routers and first on the list was the Asus RT-AC68U which CNET reviewed in 2013. I got on the ASUS website and they have firmware for this model released this month! And it's a 5 year old router! Sadly, a used C8 is only worth $20-25 on Ebay so I'll probably just hang on a little longer and see if that alleged firmware update comes along.
Options
22 Reply
Re:Time to bail on TP-Link?
2018-05-27 22:37:45
Have the same router except mine's V2. Sad since tp-link routers are on the list of those vulnerable to the new recent hack. My T9E wifi card hasn't had an update since 2014 or so. Probably the last TP-Link product I'll ever buy.
Options
2018-05-28 00:09:44
What would you suggest instead of TPLink? Need a new router and currently have a new TPLink in my house that I haven't got out of the box yet - wondering if I should choose something else? Have an AC1600
Options
2018-05-28 11:32:44
been time to bail on TP-Link for well over an year. Sell your router, get what you can for it - and take your money elsewhere. TP-Link is crapping on their customers harder then ever. So eject.
Options
2018-05-29 02:18:36

Burmey wrote

What would you suggest instead of TPLink? Need a new router and currently have a new TPLink in my house that I haven't got out of the box yet - wondering if I should choose something else? Have an AC1600
I would google best routers for 2018 then go to the manufacturer websites for the top models and see what the date of their latest firmware is for the model you want. If it's more than 6 months old, I'd look for something else. TP-Link makes good hardware but they don't support it. Had I known that when I bought the C8 (and my fault for not doing more research), I'd have gone with another brand.
Options
2018-05-29 05:52:13
I wonder if the FBI contacted TPL to inform them about all the things that have been exposed since last September, I wonder if TPL is going to do anything, their statement on the Russian hack is compelling if not covert being as it's invisible right now, all the other firms have FW's in place and a statement to instruct but here it's like time stood still.
Options
2018-05-31 08:37:47
When I dumped a Comcast gateway, I purchased an Asus router. Should have done more research, the problem was known for over a year with no fix. So TP-Link is not the only company that doesn't keep up with updates. I wonder if $200 + routers get better service but, can't afford those prices. If they would last longer that the "cheap" models, I might spring for one. I have had routers from most of the manufactures in the past and not happy with any of them except Zyxel. That was years ago and lasted 4 years ++ @ $35.
Options
2018-06-05 00:20:37
I like my C8 for the most part, but support has been a disappointment. Seems like all of the routers have issues and I somewhat expect that because of all of the things it must do. The best router I had was an old Linksys "G" running DD-WRT. I may install DD-WRT on my C8. Last time I upgraded firmware on my C8 I could not set up port forwarding for my security cameras with that new user interface. Support ended up having me drop back to the old firmware.
Options
2018-06-06 06:37:33

lmacmil wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an Archer C8, V1 and it's a nice router and does everything I need it to do. The problem (as so many have pointed out) is that support is sorely lacking. The firmware is 2 years old and when I emailed about an upgrade the reply was, in effect, we're working on it but don't know when it will be ready. IOW, don't hold your breath. I did a search on best AC routers and first on the list was the Asus RT-AC68U which CNET reviewed in 2013. I got on the ASUS website and they have firmware for this model released this month! And it's a 5 year old router! Sadly, a used C8 is only worth $20-25 on Ebay so I'll probably just hang on a little longer and see if that alleged firmware update comes along.

While it was initially released in 2013 you will find that Asus is still making new RT-AC68U and keeping the firmware updated regularly. Also you will find much more control and logging, better forum support. Also has a modified version of ddwrt avail for it that adds even more functionality and Far as i can tell Merlin is still active on the forum. I have been thinking about selling my 3150 and getting a couple RT-AC68U as they are now mesh routers as well with latest firmware.
I would not hold my breath on any firmware updates on a router the company no longer even makes. They would rather you purchase a newer model.
Options
2018-06-07 00:50:39

nujackk wrote

While it was initially released in 2013 you will find that Asus is still making new RT-AC68U and keeping the firmware updated regularly. Also you will find much more control and logging, better forum support. Also has a modified version of ddwrt avail for it that adds even more functionality and Far as i can tell Merlin is still active on the forum. I have been thinking about selling my 3150 and getting a couple RT-AC68U as they are now mesh routers as well with latest firmware.
I would not hold my breath on any firmware updates on a router the company no longer even makes. They would rather you purchase a newer model.

I've been looking at Asus and just learned about Asuswrt-Merlin. That persuaded me to go the Asus route. Probably just going to buy the RT-AC66U-B1 since it will do everything I need and the 68U is almost double the price.
Options
2018-06-09 05:06:14
I ordered a refurbished RT-AC66U B1 from Newegg. Should arrive Monday. Downloaded the latest firmware from Asus. It's dated 6/1/2018!!!

I've also got a 2 year old Asus motherboard and its BIOS was also updated in June 2018. That's how to properly support your product.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2605

Replies: 22

Related Articles