Parental Control Frustration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-03 01:55:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Deco M5 with ethernet backhaul, 1 main unit and 3 APs.

Hardware: US ver 1.0
Software: Latest as of today.

Have had this for a month now. The parental controls are really frustrating and does not work. I set time limit of 2 hours per day but this is not enforced. My kids are on iPad mainly face timing their cousins and playing Fortnight or Roadblox at the same time. 2 hours comes and goes but they are still on active internet connections. I used the 'Pause' internet feature and that too doesn't work. Says internet paused on the app but they have active internet sessions. The deco app is unable to enforce restrictions on active connections. I have no clue how these features pass your testing team.

Another defect: when the 2 hour limit had been reached and there was no change in internet connection, I thought rebooting the main deco unit would help. After the reboot the time limit reset itself to 0 and gave them another 2 hours. Not that the hours mattered since nothing was being enforced anyways.

Any fix for the time limit issues?
Options
7 Reply
Re:Parental Control Frustration
2018-06-09 06:28:41
Any feedback?
Options
Similar situation
2018-06-12 01:42:25
I have a similar situation with my brand new Archer C60 :(

The reason I purchased it was pretty much due to its Parental Control control capabilities - which so far are not working.
Options
2018-06-12 05:26:25
Parental controls on the DECO are crap. If my son is using one of the many free VPN he just continues playing when I block sites or the internet.

The only way to block the WiFi that seems to work is:
- put all the devices of my son on the blacklist
- put the profile of my son on pause
- reboot the DECO

Without the reboot he just continues playing, After the reboot his devices need to reconnect which then fails and he starts complaining that I blocked the WiFi...
Options
2018-06-13 17:12:14

rajivhifi wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Deco M5 with ethernet backhaul, 1 main unit and 3 APs.

Hardware: US ver 1.0
Software: Latest as of today.

Have had this for a month now. The parental controls are really frustrating and does not work. I set time limit of 2 hours per day but this is not enforced. My kids are on iPad mainly face timing their cousins and playing Fortnight or Roadblox at the same time. 2 hours comes and goes but they are still on active internet connections. I used the 'Pause' internet feature and that too doesn't work. Says internet paused on the app but they have active internet sessions. The deco app is unable to enforce restrictions on active connections. I have no clue how these features pass your testing team.

Another defect: when the 2 hour limit had been reached and there was no change in internet connection, I thought rebooting the main deco unit would help. After the reboot the time limit reset itself to 0 and gave them another 2 hours. Not that the hours mattered since nothing was being enforced anyways.

Any fix for the time limit issues?

hey, did you solve the issue?
you may provide a screenshot of your configuration and we can help you to confirm whether there is something wrong with the settings.
Options
2018-06-14 05:39:57
It remains unsolved. Here are the screenshots.

Options
2018-08-21 04:01:36
Good luck getting this resolved.

The parental controls on my Archer VR600 are not fit for purpose. They can block websites, but when most kids use dedicated chat/social media apps which route traffic on various ports and IP addresses, the TP-Link parental controls are practically useless. My kids can use some apps 24/7...but hey the websites on port 80 are blocked so that will obviously keep things safe and secure.

I've emailed support numerous times on the issue and was initially told that it would be addressed in future firmware updates, which was good as it showed TP-Link are taking the issue seriously. Only for them to then backtrack and notify me that no more firmware updates are being planned for my router model.

My router isn't that old and according to TP-Link, it features cutting edge technology so finding out that they have no plans on improving things which clearly do not work well enough was incredibly disappointing.

The parental controls and tether compatibility were the main reasons I went with this router and I feel extremely let down at the attitude shown by TP-Link.
Options
2020-10-06 14:43:58

@rajivhifi , Hi,

How is your issue? Or you're probably buy some other router(s) :)

I have the same issue and it's pretty frustrating seening this 2+ years topic without any reasonable anwser. So this is TP-link support as is?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2961

Replies: 7

Related Articles