Archer C59/Windows 10 Can't Write To USB

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-19 09:57:05
Model : AC1350

Hardware Version : C59 V2.0

Firmware Version : 2.0.1

I can't figure out why I can't write to USB. I'm having a similar issue as described in the thread below, but the solution isn't working for me. I can see the Browse , Music, Video, and Pictures folders, but I can't change anything. I've tried to Google a solution and change a bunch of setting, but still can't write to USB. I'm thinking the solution in the thread I found was for Windows 7 and I need to do something different for Windows 10. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?79731-Why-can-t-I-write-files-to-USB-drive
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C59/Windows 10 Can't Write To USB
2018-06-19 19:38:28
I have a C7 and and IMac so this may help or not.
Sign on to the C59 and check the file sharing settings for the USB.
Also check the file sharing options in File Explorer.
Options
2018-06-20 09:22:21
I've enabled file sharing for USB and I have file sharing on in Windows. It seems like something needs to be changed in Windows, but I can't figure it out.
Options
2018-06-20 11:56:07
So I was able to figure it out. Luckily I have a technical background, but they REALLY need to update their user manual. Here's what I did.

1. I made sure sharing was enabled on my router
2. Opened File Explorer
3. Right clicked on "This PC", and then selected "Map Network Drive..."
4. Clicked on the "Connected to a Website that you can use to store your documents and pictures" link
5. Click "Next" on the next window that pops up
6. Select "Choose a custom network location" and click "Next"
7. Enter the FTP link when prompted. For example : ftp://198.150.1.1
8. Click "Next" again for the next couple of windows.
9. Click Finish
10. It may prompt you for a user name and password if you enabled authentication
Options
2018-06-20 19:41:30
Note that the router does not support the Apple formats. The drive can be formatted like a windows drive and an Apple computer can read/write to the USB drive. Apple Time Machine will not work on the Router drive as it is the wrong format.
You should be able to now access the drive quick and easy from either Windows or Apple.
Windows 10

[*]Press the Windows Key and R
[*]Enter //192.168.0.1

[*]Apple OS
Open a Browser (Chrome, Safari, …)
[*]Enter SMB:\\192.168.0.1

Options
2018-06-21 16:57:55
This wifi router is very good in feature and access. You can connect this wifi with the phone and laptop. If you are facing any problem regarding connectivity and access then you can contact Geek Squad Support at any time.
Options
2018-06-22 16:05:31

Mitsu wrote

So I was able to figure it out. Luckily I have a technical background, but they REALLY need to update their user manual. Here's what I did.

1. I made sure sharing was enabled on my router
2. Opened File Explorer
3. Right clicked on "This PC", and then selected "Map Network Drive..."
4. Clicked on the "Connected to a Website that you can use to store your documents and pictures" link
5. Click "Next" on the next window that pops up
6. Select "Choose a custom network location" and click "Next"
7. Enter the FTP link when prompted. For example : ftp://198.150.1.1
8. Click "Next" again for the next couple of windows.
9. Click Finish
10. It may prompt you for a user name and password if you enabled authentication

After you did above, you can successfully write to USB?

Very good sharing~
Options
2018-06-26 22:33:43
I can no longer access USB NAS because of this smb1 error:
You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher.

****Also there is no firmware update for C59 to potentially correct this****

In Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 (RS3) and later versions, the Server Message Block version 1 (SMBv1) network protocol is no longer installed by default. It was superseded by SMBv2 and later protocols starting in 2007. Microsoft publicly deprecated the SMBv1 protocol in 2014.

SMBv1 has the following behavior in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 (RS3):
SMBv1 now has both client and server sub-features that can be uninstalled separately.
[*]Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education no longer contain the SMBv1 client or server by default after a clean installation.
[*]Windows Server 2016 no longer contains the SMBv1 client or server by default after a clean installation.
[*]Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional no longer contain the SMBv1 server by default after a clean installation.
[*]Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
[*]In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves.
[*]In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education do not automatically remove SMB1. An administrator must decide to uninstall SMB1 in these managed environments.
[*]Automatic removal of SMB1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMB1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.
[*]The SMB version 2.02, 2.1, 3.0, 3.02, and 3.1.1 features are still fully supported and included by default as part of the SMBv2 binaries.
[*]Because the Computer Browser service relies on SMBv1, the service is uninstalled if the SMBv1 client or server is uninstalled. This means that Explorer Network can no longer display Windows computers through the legacy NetBIOS datagram browsing method.
[*]SMBv1 can still be reinstalled in all editions of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
Options
2018-06-26 22:36:01
Yes but that is ftp, which is mostly un-secure and slow. This does not solve the issue of connecting via local network and or adding a new network location to access the USB NAS.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1120

Replies: 8