Can't add devices without updating firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-22 14:54:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

PROBLEM
I tried to set up a 3 Deco network, but couldn't add the 2nd and 3rd devices. It kept saying it couldn't find them.

SOLUTION
It appears that the 1st unit can't connect to the other units if they're on a different FW. However, how do you update the FW if you can't connect to the device? You have to make a wired connection for each one individually.

- Connect 1st device and update FW
- Turn off and disconnect the 1st device (may not be needed, but couldn't hurt)
- Create a new network (e.g. Test 1), connect the second device to your modem/router, set it up, and update the FW.
- Remove and reset the 2nd device
- Connect the third device to your modem/router, set it up on the Test network, and update the FW
- Remove and reset the 3rd device.

Now you can add the 2nd and 3rd devices to the primary network via wireless.

Although solvable, this is a serious bug since most people won't know to fix it.

I don't have the original FW, but the current FW is 1.2.1 build 20180606 rel 52910
Options
4 Reply
Re:Can't add devices without updating firmware
2018-07-23 02:02:48
Or, wait with the update until all three are on the network.
It's really a serious and stupid bug !!! How can they do a mistake like that?
Options
2018-07-23 14:16:27

akewinther wrote

Or, wait with the update until all three are on the network.

That won't work. It automatically updates the first Deco as soon as you connect it to the network.
Options
2018-07-24 01:53:03
Are you sure? Mine didn't, got a notification though but turned it down. I'v now four Decos online not updated.
Options
2018-07-24 06:05:41
I just set mine up this weekend. Maybe they've changed things in the latest app or recent firmware.
The app has some UI bugs. When it tries to update, it says failed. You keep clicking retry without success. However, it's actually succeeded in writing the new FW, but thinks it failed because the router is rebooting. Once it comes back online, you go to Update, and it says it's on latest FW.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 719

Replies: 4