Can single network include both hardwired and wireless connections?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-28 11:45:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just installed four Deco M5 units on a single network in my small but WiFi-hostile home (it has solid wood walls). It's all working fine, but I've noticed a dramatic difference in speeds between the main Deco (300mbps) and the others (40-70 mpbs). I understand this is due to the lack of dedicated wireless backhaul.

The current setup is an Arris Cable Modem (wireless is disabled on the Arris) connected to the Main Deco, which then connects wirelessly to the other 3 Decos. One Deco, however, we'll call it No. 2, occasionally displays a red LED, which I guess suggests it may be borderline too far from the main Deco.

I'd like to improve that, because I conduct video calls for work and more bandwidth in that area of the home is better.

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect just that Deco unit directly to the Main Deco via Ethernet cable, and have the other two Decos connect wirelessly. This doesn't seem to be represented in any of the topology diagrams I'm seeing on the forum or in the TP-Link help articles. So maybe it's not possible. But this is what I'm envisioning. No Ethernet switch or anything, just a straight Enthernet connection from the back fo the Main Deco to the back of No. 2. (I'd then use the spare Ethernet port on No. 2 to run a cable to our Tivo Mini, which is the device currently hooked to the Ethernet.

Here's the layout. Would it work?

Thought I'd talk it out before I tried it out. Thanks in advance.
File:
Deco highjinks.jpgDownload
Options
5 Reply
Re:Can single network include both hardwired and wireless connections?
2018-07-29 22:57:35

Yes, i have exacly this at my home with 4 decos.

Escritorio is Main Deco, cable to " Quarto 1"
Sala and Quarto 3 is "Wifi linked"
Options
Thanks leogz
2018-07-30 04:49:58
@lleogz

That's great to hear! Under your setup, are you still able to offer a guest network with its own network SSID and password? (I noticed in some posts that hardwired Deco networks do not support guest networks, but since this is not fully hardwired, I'm hoping the guest network is still supported.

Thanks again for the reply.
Options
2018-07-30 13:48:04
in your layout, only the main Deco and Deco 3 support guest network and work. Deco 4 can also broadcast guest network but no internet access.
Options
2018-07-31 01:33:36
So if more than one Deco unit is connected via hardwire Ethernet, any Decos connected via wireless won't provide full Internet connection to guest networks?
Options
2018-07-31 07:30:21

cfurry wrote

@lleogz

That's great to hear! Under your setup, are you still able to offer a guest network with its own network SSID and password? (I noticed in some posts that hardwired Deco networks do not support guest networks, but since this is not fully hardwired, I'm hoping the guest network is still supported.

Thanks again for the reply.

3 Working, Main Deco and both WIFI linked. Wired not have guest network. But i don't use Guest network at Home.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1382

Replies: 5