Firmware update causes router to lock up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-27 10:27:23
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

If you're updating your router and haven't done it for a while, make sure you download ALL of the firmware updates for your TP-Link router. Then install the updates one by one, starting with the oldest firmware first. Do the newest one last.

Today I was updating the firmware for my Archer C7, version 2.0, that I purchased in 2015. I hadn't ever updated it, so I wasn't sure what exactly was involved. I assumed I just needed to download the newest firmware update and install it and I'd be good to go. But when I tried installing the newest update first, things just stalled out -- for over FOUR HOURS. My router was useless and I was worried it might require a factory reset.

Fortunately, I finally found a helpful video online where someone suggested starting with the oldest update first and working my way up from there. So I did that, going step by step. Within 30 minutes I was up and running.

I should add that I'm not an IT expert -- I'm just a regular guy who works in a small office and often ends up doing a lot of tech-related things to help out his coworkers. I hope the information above saves someone from the headaches I experienced today.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Firmware update causes router to lock up
2019-08-30 16:15:37
This is remarkable if true. How on earth is this even a thing, and if it is a requirement to update things one at a time, that needs to be clearly spelled out in the release / installation notes.
Options
Re:Firmware update causes router to lock up
2020-01-24 15:54:59

Hi @rbcn309 ,

I too faced a similar problem... I was doing the firmware update from a update notification... Clicked on it in the night.. looked at it in the morning n found that it got locked...

How do I download n install the firmware as the router is locked, I'm not able to connect to it

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1155

Replies: 2