Archer C7 v2 Questions - Performance Update & 2.4 & 5ghz same SSID questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-12 00:32:18
Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

ISP : Comcast

I have an Archer C7 v2 with the most recent firmware for this particular hardware revision and have been having some issues that keep getting worse and have a few questions.

[*]It seems that if I set the 2.4ghz & 5ghz to use the same SSID & password it doesn't work as I expect it to. My expectations are that devices that support both 2.4ghz & 5ghz connections would opt to connect to the 5ghz connection whenever possible. However, this is not what happens. Is this functionality not supported?
[*]This support article claims there is a TP-Link Performance Update for the Archer C7 v2 & v4 versions dated 3 May 2018. However, the most recent update available for the Archer C7 v2 is from 18 January 2018 as you can see here.

ArcherC7 v2 (AC1750)
[*]Firmware: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C7 v2 Questions - Performance Update & 2.4 & 5ghz same SSID questions
2018-09-16 05:53:51
There are reported issues with using the same SSIDs and passwords although some have it work fine for them. I have not done it but I suspect it may vary by the connected devices.
I like to have separate SSID names for several reasons.
I can control which devices go to each band.
Not all devices will work on the 5 GHZ band.
Some routers will revert to the slowest connected device and use "B" or "G" instead of "N" or "AC"
Since the 2.4 band tends to have more distance than the 5 GHZ band devices will tend to connect to it especially if you are near the limits of the 5 GHZ band. If I am near the router, my iPad connects to the 5 GHZ but in the bedroom, it connects to the 2.4 GHZ. However if I connect to the 5 GHZ and then go into the bedroom, it stays on the faster 5 GHZ band.
The 5 GHZ tends to be faster than the 2.4 GHZ band so you may want certain devices to always connect to it.
Most devices such as phones and tablets will allow you to set up multiple networks and they will connect to either one much the way the same SSIDs does for you now. Printers and such allow only one network so you select the band you want the devices on.
Anytime you debug a problem, if you can isolate something, the better.
As for the performance upgrade, I think you will need to contact support directly for more info. I use email as I tend to get better answers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1584

Replies: 1

Related Articles