Archer C9 - can't connect to Custom SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-12 01:30:55
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Monday morning, none of my PC's, iPad's and phones were not able to connect to the custom SSID at my house. I got "Can't connect to network" on my Win10 1803. One machine was still connecting fine for another hour then lost network. Things were fine the night before, and no changes had been done.

I reset the C9 to factory default, and my main laptop connected using cached credentials to the default SSID. Setup a new different SSID, but after this change, i got the "Can't connect to Network" again. I updated the firmare to the latest, reset the router once again and left it at default SSID, my laptop could connect, but no other devices. My iPhone gave me incorrect password after multiple tries with 100% correct password.

I gave up and connected an older router and everybody was able to connect again.

Anybody knows if this is a known issue, or any recomended troubleshooting steps? Search couldn't give me any similar results.

Archer c9 v.1

Thanks!
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C9 - can't connect to Custom SSID
2018-09-16 05:22:36
That is strange. I would have thought the router reset would have fixed things.
Are you using different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands? Using the same SSID can sometimes cause strange issues.
Does your iPhone support both 2.4 and 5 GHZ? Have you tried both?
If you used the same custom SSID, and a different password or security type, you will need to delete (forget network for IPads and Iphone) the network info on all of the devices and re-establish network SSID and the password.
Hope this helps.
Options
2018-09-17 23:33:06

Elbert wrote

That is strange. I would have thought the router reset would have fixed things.
Are you using different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands? Using the same SSID can sometimes cause strange issues.
Does your iPhone support both 2.4 and 5 GHZ? Have you tried both?
If you used the same custom SSID, and a different password or security type, you will need to delete (forget network for IPads and Iphone) the network info on all of the devices and re-establish network SSID and the password.
Hope this helps.

Tried both, changed the names etc.. However, it get's stranger, it now doesn't accept any passwords; even after reset. Only if I leave it open I can connect. Decided to try with DD-WRT, but same issue there, I can't connect over when WPA 2 is enabled.
Options
2018-09-24 02:31:54
I am at a loss... With DD-WRT install, I would think it takes the router out of the equation. Why would all those devices have same WIFI issues?
Let us know what you find as I would like to know.
Options
2018-09-24 13:16:37
Service sets are arranged hierarchically,: basic service sets (BSS) are units of devices operating with the same medium access characteristics (i.e. radio frequency, modulation scheme etc.), while extended service sets (ESS) are logical units of one or more basic service sets on the same logical network segment (i.e. IP subnet, VLAN etc.). There are two classes of basic service sets: those that are formed by infrastructure mode redistribution points (access points or mesh nodes), and those that are formed by independent stations in a peer-to-peer ad hoc topology. Basic service sets are identified by BSSIDs, which are 48-bit labels that conform to MAC-48 conventions. Logical networks (including extended service sets) are identified by SSIDs, which serve as "network names" and are typically natural language labels. You can also, check https://99generator.com/ for more information.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 994

Replies: 4