Brother Printer not in Device List

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-13 07:38:48
Model : M5

Hardware Version : (latest)

Firmware Version : 1.2.2 Build 20180819 Rel. 68100 (Android App is version 1.6.12)

ISP :

I've added (multiple times) a Brother Wi-Fi printer to my Deco's wireless network. The printer finds the Deco wireless network's SSID and the printer's status display says it is connected. However my Windows system will not print to it (it did once, but I have no idea why). It is NOT setup as Wi-Fi Direct.

The printer does not show up in the Deco App's Device List. (The Deco is NOT set up in Access Point mode)

Any thoughts on what is happening and how to fix it?

TIA
Options
8 Reply
Re:Brother Printer not in Device List
2018-09-13 16:15:24
First of all there is a firmware update for your Deco, second, check if there is a firmware update for your printer, third, update the printer driver, fourth, assign a reserved ip for your printer.

olddude wrote

Model : M5

Hardware Version : (latest)

Firmware Version : 1.2.2 Build 20180819 Rel. 68100 (Android App is version 1.6.12)

ISP :

I've added (multiple times) a Brother Wi-Fi printer to my Deco's wireless network. The printer finds the Deco wireless network's SSID and the printer's status display says it is connected. However my Windows system will not print to it (it did once, but I have no idea why). It is NOT setup as Wi-Fi Direct.

The printer does not show up in the Deco App's Device List. (The Deco is NOT set up in Access Point mode)

Any thoughts on what is happening and how to fix it?

TIA
Options
2018-09-13 21:34:49
Thanks, will look into all of your suggestions when I get back from a trip. I'm assuming that the printer will first have to show up in the Deco Device List before I can assign it an IP address. Correct?

akewinther wrote

First of all there is a firmware update for your Deco, second, check if there is a firmware update for your printer, third, update the printer driver, fourth, assign a reserved ip for your printer.
Options
2018-09-14 16:56:51
Must be like that yeah, though I don't remember now. What I remember is that a firmware upgrade for the printer forced me to upgrade the drivers to be able to print.

olddude wrote

Thanks, will look into all of your suggestions when I get back from a trip. I'm assuming that the printer will first have to show up in the Deco Device List before I can assign it an IP address. Correct?
Options
2018-10-03 08:10:54
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a similar problem. My two Brother printers are showing as Offline after the last Deco Firmware update. Sometimes they will print even though they are showing as offline and other times they will not. Prior to the latest Deco Firmware update, they worked without a problem for about a year. Frustrating!
Options
2018-10-03 11:40:30
Yes, it has been resolved. Multiple issues! First, I updated the Brother software and things started to work - with a static IP address. However (I thought) that the printer was not showing up in the Deco App's Device List. It turns out that it was actually there.

Somehow the printer's wireless Node Name was changed to "DECO_ ...." and I thought it was a DECO puck. TP-Link's support was great and they remotely accessed my computer and discovered that the printer was there (I told them if there had been a way to list the mac addresses of all the Devices in the List that I would have seen that the printer was there - clicking on each Device in the List to determine the mac address is a pain).

In fact the Deco system dynamically assigned the printer an IP address (there was no need to statically assign one)

I then tried unsuccessfully to change the printer's Node name via the printer's web interface. Brother's support tried to do it and they couldn't either. I decided to leave things as they were.

Later the printer appeared to be offline to one of my computers, but not another. I could ping the printer from both computers but could only print from one of them.

Brother support told me to:
[*] go to the problem computer;
[*]open Devices and Printers from the Control Panel;
[*]right-click on the problem printer;
[*]click on "Printer Properties";
[*]click on the Ports tab;
[*](and in my case) I selected a port with the IP address of the printer or it was the name of the printer(?). (I might have needed to add a Port with the printer's IP address if that didn't work).
Options
2020-04-05 08:06:08

@olddude I tried pinging the printer across the network and suddenly it started working as an airprinter 

Options
2020-07-19 03:12:42

@olddude 

Yes my printer would connect and confirm that I was connecting to the Deco. Would not show in the TP-Link app. After trying all of the above settings, firmware updates, etc. It ended up being that I had my printer's IP address set to static instead of dynamic. In Brother printer lingo your BOOT Method needs to be set to Auto. I set DHCP to yes. For the Gateway address, I used the DECO M9 main controller's IP address. Works great so far.

Options
2020-09-16 00:52:06

@PaulCW 

Thank you for your suggestion. My Brother firmware was updated and deco m5 firmware was also updated but none of my devices were able to detect the WiFi printer.

Change BOOT method to DHCP (login retries = 5, not sure if this matters) did the trick. I also checked Gateway to make sure its the IP address of the main deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7298

Replies: 8

Related Articles