Archer C9 v5.0 - Reserved IPs not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-20 15:52:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Model : Archer C9
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Hardware Version : 5.0

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Firmware Version : 1.2.2 Build 20180423 rel.85787

Hello!
So I just purchased and set-up a new Archer C9 v5.0. It works great, I love the device so far, except for reserving IP addresses.

When I reserve IP addresses via the DHCP menu (this issue particularly seems to occur if I reserve an IP address for more than one device), most of my devices are no longer able to connect to the wifi. I get an error on my android cell phones--"failed to obtain IP address". My desktop computers (also connecting via wifi) seem to be able to connect to the wifi ok, but every other device (iPADs, cell phones, TVs, blueray player) cannot connect. Occasionally, my main desktop computer will have difficulty connecting to the 2.4 GHz band, but not the 5.0 GHz band when this issue is occurring.

This issue affects all the above devices whether or not I am reserving an IP for that specific MAC address (for example, my cell phone cannot connect to wifi when reserving IPs for other devices, even if I don't reserve an IP address for the cell phone).

This issue resolves when I delete all entries for reserved IPs. I did not yet test if the issue resolves just by disabling the entries.

What could be going on? Is this a firmware issue; should I downgrade my firmware?

Thank you!!
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C9 v5.0 - Reserved IPs not working
2019-01-21 23:35:05 - last edited 2019-01-21 23:35:39

Did you ever find a solution for this?  Getting the same issue on the same hardware revision and firmware.  I did notice that all DHCP allocated addresses switch to "Perminent" wether I've set a static IP for that device or not.  Also, it did not work to just disable entries.  I had to remove them before my DHCP server started allocating addresses again.  I might try a factory reset or firmware downgrade and update here for anyone else facing the issue.

Options
2019-01-27 19:53:15

I had this exact issue, DHCP would completely stop when assigning a reservation, and deleting reservations would enable DHCP again. I found an article on the forum where someone was having this problem with a different model of TP-Link router that they were able to fix this by deleting any spaces or special characters in the hostname. I have the Archer C9 v5.0. I was using a space in the "Description" field.  So I attempted using no spaces and it solved my issue. This may very well be other peoples issue.

TL:DR-  Try deleting any spaces or special characters (#,-,!, ect.) in the "Description" box of the reservation.

Options
Re:Re:Archer C9 v5.0 - Reserved IPs not working
2019-04-22 18:54:39

I created an account to report this issue, but it seems that you may have already solved this.  I had unintentionally verified this with one entry which used underscore's instead of spaces, and the second entry had a space in the description.  The moment I removed the one entry with spaces in the description, DHCP started working for all other devices on my network.  Once we're done with our meeting, I'll test adding a second entry without using spaces.

Thank you!

c5-R wrote

I had this exact issue, DHCP would completely stop when assigning a reservation, and deleting reservations would enable DHCP again. I found an article on the forum where someone was having this problem with a different model of TP-Link router that they were able to fix this by deleting any spaces or special characters in the hostname. I have the Archer C9 v5.0. I was using a space in the "Description" field.  So I attempted using no spaces and it solved my issue. This may very well be other peoples issue.

TL:DR-  Try deleting any spaces or special characters (#,-,!, ect.) in the "Description" box of the reservation.

Options
Re:Re:Archer C9 v5.0 - Reserved IPs not working
2019-05-03 02:47:27

c5-R wrote

This worked for me as well.  Thanks so much for posting! I'll report back if any issues occur after.

Current firmware: 1.2.2 Build 20180423 rel.85787(5553)

Options
2020-02-19 16:28:57 - last edited 2020-02-19 16:31:36

Hi All,

I have (had) a Ver.5.1 device running <c9v5_eu-up-ver1-2-4-P1_20190403-rel63869> firmware. The ISP offers me a static IP. After the adjustment the router cannot assign IPs to its` clients. Only cable connected clients with reserved IPs can use internet. When I adjust the router like an extention of my old TL-WDR4300 using a dynamic IP on my WAN port, DHCP works fine and all the devices obtain IPs. So I sent back the new Archer C9. Please inform me what router can I use for my home network? I just need an USB printer controller and USB 3.0 port for FTP server. Thank You.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1229

Replies: 5