How could a cat cable connection throw the internet off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-16 05:02:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I had a set up that was working for months: a C9 connected to a Surfboard 6580. I had four port connections on the back of the C9, nothing but the connection to the router coming out of the SBG6580.

One day I got the orange internet light. I spent hours on the phone with support and got the blue light back on without any cables connected, but as soon as I plugged them back in, I got the orange light.

I thought maybe resetting the modem had enabled bridge mode and it had, but disabling it did not fix the problem.

I finally figured out that it was one particular hardwired connection that was causing the internet light to go orange. It goes to a PC that I use as a development server running Ubuntu 18.04 (it is a Lenovo m91p)

I even tried plugging the bad cable into the SBG6580 and it caused an orange internet light on the router???

I rebooted the server attached to the offending cable and I have not gotten the orange internet light back - yet.

Does anyone have an idea of why this happening?
Options
1 Reply
Re:How could a cat cable connection throw the internet off
2018-10-21 05:04:47
Have you tried a different cable as it may have a broken wire, a short, or a bad connector.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 570

Replies: 1