VOIP Phone will not connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-24 09:20:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have recently purchased a TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System from Amazon which consists of 3 Deco M5 devices. I followed the instructions on how to set it up by first removing my existing home router and powering off my cable modem. I connected one of the M5 devices to the modem, then powered both on. The set up went very smooth and soon I had all three M5 devices connected using the Deco app on my android phone. Speed tests were great and everything seemed to work fine. I then noticed my VOIP phone to my office was in a disconnected state. I rebooted the phone and it still wouldn't connect. I set up an access rule in the Router M5 to allow port 5060 to the phone but it still wouldn't connect. I then turned off the security features (antivirus, content filtering, parental controls) and still it would not connect.

I changed the operating mode of the M5 to Access Point and put my home router back in the network. That fixed the VOIP issue. Keep in mind that my VOIP phone is wired with an ethernet cable to my router. When I was using the M5 in Router mode, I had a gigabit switch connected to the second M5 router ethernet port because I need more than just one ethernet port for my wired devices.

Why is my VOIP phone not connecting? With my rule in place to pass port 5060 traffic to the IP of the phone, it should work. Regardless of having a rule in place, outbound connections should be trusted and passed regardless, right? I would really like to utilize all of the functionality that I get by setting the M5 to work in Router mode, but my VOIP phone must work. Any ideas?
Options
4 Reply
Re:VOIP Phone will not connect
2018-11-19 22:40:12
1. Could you show your topology, your VoIP phone connect to the main deco or ... 2. whats model of your VoIP phone 3. for the disconnect part whats ur phone say?( like you can log in in the phone server but can't dial or ...)
The TP-Link USA QA and Support Team
Options
2019-02-04 14:24:08

I have a Vonage (Linksys) VOIP box working fine. It is connected to a 4 port switch on an M5 Deco. I have done nothing special to the prots. I did assign it a static IP.

Did you try that?

Options
2019-12-17 14:40:41

@DanAugust I have exact the same problem, except with Deco M9 instead. Did you find a solution?

Options
2019-12-19 18:08:06

@revbt 

- I'm not sure if this might be your problem, but I had a similar issue and have resolved it.

Short Summary,  confirm if your VoIP phone is set for DHCP= Auto, or set to a Static IP in the correct range. if it is disabled like mine, it might be your problem.  My Polycom phone had DHCP disabled and a set IP assignment in the 192.168.0.XXX range.  It would appear to synch with the network and I'd get dialtone but no calls completed

When I installed my DECO M5 Mesh system I converted my ISP's Modem/Router to Bridged mode and it turns out, unbeknownst to me, that the private side gateway changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.68.1 and so did the IP addresses being assigned out by DHCP from the DECO "Main".  It would work when I put the M5 back in to AP mode because the ISP's Modem/Router had the correct address reserved in the old range. 

Hopefully that's it, but if not, good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6967

Replies: 4

Related Articles