tp-wr940n wireless speeds very slow. wired is line speed of 500mbs plus wifi is only 30mbs.same room

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

tp-wr940n wireless speeds very slow. wired is line speed of 500mbs plus wifi is only 30mbs.same room

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-02 04:18:28

im in the same room as the router so there is no chance of interference, im two feet from the router and the wifi never tops above 35mps. usually much slower. the wired speeds are in excess of 500mbs. what am I missing? is there some setting im not seeing? or is the unit defective? the network map is as follows. modem to tplink network switch from the switch it splits out to the desktop hardwired and also to the router. its not the network switch because if it was the desktop would be affected. this is only on devices connected to wifi.

Options
3 Reply
Re:tp-wr940n wireless speeds very slow. wired is line speed of 500mbs plus wifi is only 30mbs.same room
2019-01-03 21:31:01

If you were to wire a computer to one of the LAN ports on the TP-Link router, what speed do you get?

Have you tried testing with other wireless devices to see if you get the same wireless speed?

Options
Re:tp-wr940n wireless speeds very slow. wired is line speed of 500mbs plus wifi is only 30mbs.same room
2019-01-04 01:19:54

I am having the same problem. what was the sesolution on this thead.

Laptop within 1 foot of router 2.6 down 0.7 up.

The wired port is giving me simular results.

If I connect doirectly into modem I get 69. down 12 up.

checked the speed on a Apple device and they were half what I am getting on my laptop.

Options
Re:Re:tp-wr940n wireless speeds very slow. wired is line speed of 500mbs plus wifi is only 30mbs.same room
2019-01-22 18:49:25

@TerryT 

For your situation, you would first want to log into the rotuer then go to:  Sytem Tools > Diagnostics and run a Ping Test using the following information:

IP Address/ Domain Name:  yahoo.com

Ping Count:  50

Ping Packet Size: 500

Ping Time out 800

Run the test 3 times and record the results.  If you see any packet loss above 3-5% the issue would likely be with the ISP or its service.  This is because if you run a loaded ping test from a router connected dirrectly to your modem this would be like running the same test from the modem to the computer it is eliminating any network device interference, range or load issues.  

If the pings are clean the next thing you want to make sure is that your modem is just a modem and not a gateway device.  If it is a gateway and its operating as one then you are in a double NAT enviorment which can affect network performance.  In this case you would want to contact the ISP and put the modem/gateway in modem only mode.  

If you are only in a modem enviroment and the ping test is clean, the last thing you want to make sure is your firmware is up to date, if it is a replacement may be needed if you are still within warranty. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3194

Replies: 3

Related Articles